BoNgBoNg
2001-10-10T10:43:26Z
okay...my nick is bongbong(it's actually part of my chinese name LOL - and no i don;t smoke them ^_^)

I am going to build my computer soon (with my own money for once) and i have done ALOT of homework - reading over 10 to 20 sites for updates of news and info on different areas concerning a computer... and there's still something that puzzles me alot....it's the brand of motherboard.

Firstly - i woould like to show u my "desire" computer - this is obviously NOT the best, and i am assuming that this is what i can afford by then (of course if their prices drop even more then ^_^)

btw. - i live in Sydney, Australia so the price of which i get my parts are higher than most of urs =(

my system:

- Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz (I know i know.....the new Athlons come out...that's why i;m getting this one as i can clearly see the price is dropping like flies ~ but if the new XPs drop enough, i will consider them for performance wise)

- KT266A (all i have done is make the conclusion on which chipset i would get - and it's this. I have NO IDEA what brands of motherboards are out there with this chipset and i have NO IDEA how much they would cost....anyone mind filling me in with this one??? and plz if anyone knows WHAT DETERMINES THE DIFFERENCES IN PERFORMANCES between diff. brand motherboards with the same chipsets plz tell me too *_*)

- 1024 Mb DDR-2600 RAM (4*256 RIMM) [i am a SERIOUS gamer and i reckon RAM would give me the best performance second to videocard, so i would rather invest in more ram than a slightly better processor....or am i wrong?]

- GeForce 3 Titanium 200 (don;t think i can ever afford Ti500...but surely hope i can afford at least this one, might consider Raedon 8500 if it is significantly cheaper than this)

- SoundBlaster Audigy X-Gamer and I DON'T KNOW WHAT SPEAKERS TO GET.....(that's why i might consider buying the SB Live! package with the creative labs speakers ......suggestions REALLY REALLY appreciated)

- Tower/Case....now do i really need a special case??? for athlons??? or what??anyone have anything in mind under budget plz??? i can;t afford anything over 85 bucks AUS - which is around 40-50 US dollars

-FANs/Coolers ~ this one i have NO IDEA......hm.....

Kodak 8* burner and a Panasonic 16* CD-Rom

and that is it....plz comment wherever..... - i know there are ALOT of questions - but i am seriously lost.......other than the fact that i know a few jargon of computers from reading magazines and stuff and i seriously lost...would anyone like to help out??? plz..
Sponsor
kodger
2001-10-10T12:24:19Z
See comments below (preceded by -------)

Quote:

Originally posted by BoNgBoNg
okay...my nick is bongbong(it's actually part of my chinese name LOL - and no i don;t smoke them ^_^)

I am going to build my computer soon (with my own money for once) and i have done ALOT of homework - reading over 10 to 20 sites for updates of news and info on different areas concerning a computer... and there's still something that puzzles me alot....it's the brand of motherboard.

Firstly - i woould like to show u my "desire" computer - this is obviously NOT the best, and i am assuming that this is what i can afford by then (of course if their prices drop even more then ^_^)

btw. - i live in Sydney, Australia so the price of which i get my parts are higher than most of urs =(

my system:

- Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz (I know i know.....the new Athlons come out...that's why i;m getting this one as i can clearly see the price is dropping like flies ~ but if the new XPs drop enough, i will consider them for performance wise)

- KT266A (all i have done is make the conclusion on which chipset i would get - and it's this. I have NO IDEA what brands of motherboards are out there with this chipset and i have NO IDEA how much they would cost....anyone mind filling me in with this one??? and plz if anyone knows WHAT DETERMINES THE DIFFERENCES IN PERFORMANCES between diff. brand motherboards with the same chipsets plz tell me too *_*)

----There are only a couple boards out now with the KT266a chipset. MSI, Epox, Shuttle, and Gigabyte. Myself I would get either the MSI, Epox, or Gigabyte. Since I have the K7T266 Pro from MSI and have had good look with it I would definetly consider getting the MSI K7T266 Pro2. Or you can wait and check out Asus's and Abit's offerings. They should both be top notch but may be a couple weeks or even a month out.

- 1024 Mb DDR-2600 RAM (4*256 RIMM) [i am a SERIOUS gamer and i reckon RAM would give me the best performance second to videocard, so i would rather invest in more ram than a slightly better processor....or am i wrong?]

-----That is a boat load of RAM....Personally I'd call 512 MB good and spend the extra money on a good CPU cooler or a better case.

- GeForce 3 Titanium 200 (don;t think i can ever afford Ti500...but surely hope i can afford at least this one, might consider Raedon 8500 if it is significantly cheaper than this)

------The Radeon 8500 can be had for about $260 (in the USA of course) which is pretty damn good for a card of that caliber. I'd just wait to see how it shakes out....The Ti200 would be a great card though so if you want something now I don't think you'll be sorry going with that.

- SoundBlaster Audigy X-Gamer and I DON'T KNOW WHAT SPEAKERS TO GET.....(that's why i might consider buying the SB Live! package with the creative labs speakers ......suggestions REALLY REALLY appreciated)

-------Great card - wouldn't change it.

-------Have you considered Klipsch speakers? The 4.1 Promedia and the 5.1 Promedia's just plain rock. Come with a hefty price tag however (around $250) for the 4.1's. I've heard good things about the Cambridge DTT series so you may look there.

- Tower/Case....now do i really need a special case??? for athlons??? or what??anyone have anything in mind under budget plz??? i can;t afford anything over 85 bucks AUS - which is around 40-50 US dollars

-------Everyone here knows me as an Antec pimp...hehe I just love those cases and would recommend either the Performance series or the Solution series. I've built machines with both and have nothing but good luck. Plus all Antec power supplies are Athlon approved. I'd get at least a 300 W.

-FANs/Coolers ~ this one i have NO IDEA......hm.....

---------For a CPU cooler I'd get the Thermalright SK6...great price/performance ratio. As for case fans the Antec Performance cases usually come with enough fans in them but if you don't think they do you can always get a standard 80mm fan for less than 10 bux. Usually the idea is to have at least one intake fan and one exhaust fan.

Kodak 8* burner and a Panasonic 16* CD-Rom

and that is it....plz comment wherever..... - i know there are ALOT of questions - but i am seriously lost.......other than the fact that i know a few jargon of computers from reading magazines and stuff and i seriously lost...would anyone like to help out??? plz..
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-10T12:59:36Z
hey THX VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH ^_^
kodger
2001-10-10T13:06:00Z
Happy to help!!
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-10T13:11:36Z
other than the physical traps u;ve mentioned on the mother board - is there anything else i should watch out for?

personally i am planning to assemble my own computer - without really knowing exactly how the cables go - that's why i can;t really check whether the power plugs are close enough to whatever whatever lol