bunraku
  •  bunraku
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-12-16T14:57:58Z
Hi

Have a friend who is on diallup 56k for his intenet.
He has a Hewlett Packard PC which i believe had XP supplied by HP with it.
In the last few weeks his internet connection has been changed repeatedly by Spyware and rogue diallers etc and as he is in his 80's it's kinda hard to explain whats happening and how to protect himself.

Anyway he asked me to reinstall XP for him and i did this with my Copy of XP.
Everythings been formatted fine and his Scanner and Printers work fine.
But his Modem is not.
It says a cable is unplugged.
It was working ok'before the reformatting and install of XP.
Also he has no sound.

He can only find 1 HP disc and h says he has no others.
When i put the HP disc in nothing happens.
I have even explored the CD and nothing happens even after clicking Autorun.

Any ideas especially for the Modem?

Thanx
Sponsor
Elsparrow
2004-12-16T15:16:25Z
What modem is it? Do a google search for drivers for that make of modem.

And also what motherboard as then I can tell you which audio codecs to download.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-12-16T15:19:14Z
Remeber next time to take a not of all the device types in device manager before the format as if it's a machine with "custom" installation discs it's a lot harder to find out afterwards. If you don't know the name of the modem take it out and have a look at the model number on it.
xtremeskier97
2004-12-16T15:23:31Z
Most HPs have a system recovery (both Destructive and NonDestructive) built in. You access this by continuously hitting the F10 key when the system in first turned on. You have to click the Advanced button to get to the destructive recovery mode. If you deleted the partitions on his hard drive before loading your XP CD, then that function is probably gone. If you just reinstalled XP with your CDs, then it is possible that the recovery option is still there, in which case you should do it that way. It will reinstall all hardware drivers and software that originally came with the system, just as if he just hooked it up for the first time.

If you cant do that, then go to HPs site ( www.hp.com  ) and look up his model # in the support and download the drivers you need for the modem and sound.

Good luck.
bunraku
  •  bunraku
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-12-17T07:26:17Z
Thanx for all replies.
Really appreciated.

The bad news is when i install XP i noticed a small 4gig Partition and deleted it.
I take it that this is the HP System recovery. Ooops!!!

The Modem is a Realtek RTL8139.
Looking at this'this is some sort of Ethernet Connected Modem through a NIC Card.

Does HP use a standard MOBO in their PC's manufactured approx 18 Months ago?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-12-17T07:33:03Z
Sometimes... somtimes they get the likes of Asus or another manufacturer to make them a custom board for a particular range of machines (I'm not talking about HP specifically). If you look on the Motherboard you will see markings (usually between the PCI slots) that will give the Motherboard model away than it's just a case of google. Also if you look on the southbrdge it will tell you the chip model and you can get your soundcard drivers that way if you can't find the PC model on the HP site to get drivers.
bunraku
  •  bunraku
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-12-17T13:56:56Z
Do you think that should fix the cable unplugged message?
Also what is the Modem then if not the Realtek?

Thanx again
xtremeskier97
2004-12-17T15:12:51Z
If you can take of screenshot of the Device Manager, we can tell you what's what.

To get to device manager, right click on My Computer and click properties. Then click the Hardware tab at the top of the screen. Then click Device Manager.
batwerps
2004-12-20T23:56:48Z
quote:

Originally posted by: bunraku
Do you think that should fix the cable unplugged message?
Also what is the Modem then if not the Realtek?

Thanx again

The reason it's saying "Network Cable Unplugged" is because there is no ethernet cable in your network card. If he is using Dialup, he would not use this, so the "Unplugged" message would not apply. However, get into your Device Manager, and look for the section that says "Other Devices". That will tell you what devices need drivers. Most of the time they are not detailed, but they can at least help.
bunraku
  •  bunraku
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-12-21T04:23:13Z
Ok Guys

It is not a HP'but a Packard Bell Iextreme 6052.
I take it i just downlaod the Modem and Audio Drivers from the PB website?

Thanx