lordjoe33
2004-11-29T18:24:14Z
Hi, I have a problem with my GA-7NNXP Mobo. I have a new HD. Maxtor Diamond 10 SATA 250GB. The problem is that the Mobo does not recognize the HD. I have two others 160 GB SATA drives that work great. I tried the new HD in the integrated SATA controller of the Mobo and with a PCI SATA Card. Both times same result. The drive is not recognized by the computer. Any suggestion or knowledge that you have regarding this board or this HD, will be appreciate.

Thanks

Jose

PS. I tried the PCI Card with the 160 GB drives and it works.
Sponsor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-29T18:27:16Z
Are you trying to set it up as the primary boot device or as a salve?
lordjoe33
2004-11-29T18:51:03Z
It does not matter, I can not see the drive. The board is not recognizing the drive. I can try both of them, I even unplug the other 3 drives I have (2 160GB SATA Drives and one 120GB ATA133 Drives) I think SATA drives does not take into consideration slave or master. I can be wrong. Anyway to answer your question the drive will be a slave drive. Thanks for your response. How do you set slave or master with SATA? I think it can not be possible.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-29T19:06:50Z
"How do you set slave or master with SATA? I think it can not be possible."

Nope, they don't use jumpers. Because the drives are Serial in nature, it means only one drive per connection so there is no need for master slave - SATA port one is the primary drive. When I said primary BOOT device I meant if you were trying to load Windows on it or not, rather than jumper settings. As you probabaly know if you are installing Windows on it you need to install the SATA controller drivers which is why I asked, not everyone knows this.

It could be a bad drive. Does the drive spin up? Can you hear it or feel the vibrations when you turn the power on and it is connected?
lordjoe33
2004-11-29T19:16:41Z
Thanks again for your quick response. The HD is turning on. It seems to be doing fine, no noises or anything that I can said is not normal. The only problem is that non of the SATA controllers are recognizing the HD. IS there any possibilities that the problem is the drive is too big for being recognize by the Mobo? I mean, buying a new Mobo with SATA support can solve the problem?

Thanks