x800xt
6800ultra?
Sponsor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-21T12:43:33Z
Both are excellent! Personally I'd go with the 6800 ultra but the X800XT PE is supposed to be the absolute cream of the crop. BFG offer overclocked 6800 Ultara's I'm sure though so they might be an even match.
Grahf
2004-11-21T12:47:36Z
6800 Ultra. The ATI card runs about the same in most everything except Doom3 where the Nvidia card will spank it hardcore.
thedazman67
2004-11-21T15:55:08Z
ATI are slowly closing the gap on the performance issue in Doom 3 with each new driver release so it should almost become comparable to the nVidia 6 series graphics cards

thedazman
Grahf
2004-11-22T18:15:10Z
Impossible. ID has compiled Doom 3 with optimizations out the wah-zoo for Nvidia's processors. This hasn't anything to do with an API spec, this is hardware level programming. The only way ATI could close the gap would be to barrow some circuitry from Nvidia and integrate it into their chips (which can not be done efficiently, the chips are too different). Although ATI can s[censored]ze every last drop possible the Nvidia card will still have those hardware levels optimizations that are nonexistent on ATI chips. The reason Nvidia is so close to ATI now in Half Life 2 is because HL2 uses the standard DX9 API. The hardware optimizations are minimal when compared to Doom 3. Nvidia's 5xxx series of cards was not up to the DX9 spec; now they are.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-22T18:26:34Z
Nah it's to do with ATis drivers. They have found a way to drastically cut down on the ammount of data they have to porcess with a method they claim has no loss in IQ. Think it's something to do with shading distant objests or something. Hear it boosts performance by 8fps. This is the only reason though, but if it doesn't harm AI then I say why the hell not? My source is Custom PC and they say they will be disabling the feature in all future tests and reviews though they include a section on it explaining what it does.