Egaladeist
2004-11-21T11:21:39Z
I am in the process of designing a web page...using Frontpage...I'm new at this and new with comps too...so I'll probably ask alot of stupid questions...like...how can I take something I animated with GIF ( a banner sized picture )and place it at the top of my web above the banner created by Frontpage?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-21T12:34:58Z
FrontPage is a horrible tool. I study web design and I use Dreamweaver or just code in HTML. If it's all you have available and you can't be bothered to learn HTML then it will do I suppose. The only problem is you might have to find a server that has FrontPage extensions when you want to upload it which may be difficult and/or cost extra.

Like I said I never use FrontPage but I'll fire it up now and have a look. If you get the chance to use Dreamweaver I suggest you do and if you're looking for a cheap, great and easy to use package then I recommend NetObjects Fusion 7/MX. I got it free with a mag once, you might be able to get a free version.
Egaladeist
2004-11-21T15:18:52Z
Thanks Jordan! Couldn't find the Thumbs-up smilley.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-21T15:29:12Z
Good job you replied, I knida forgot about it

OK just fired up FP 200. I havn't seen this in years. Flicking through the menus I remeber why! I hate that there's no arrow cursor to select objects, it sets everything out like a word doc!

Switching from the normal tab to the HTML tab makes me feel more at home now. If you want to get FrontPage to do the stuff you want then you'll probabaly be in the HTML quite often! If you plan on making more than one site or if you want to make quite a sophisticated site then I can recommend a couple of great books to get you on your way that teach you about HTML and web design in general. Web Design in a Nutshel is my all time fave basic Web Design book.

In the mean time there are MANY places on the net to learn HTML, just type HTML in google. I really recommend you look into the simple code that is HTML so you have an idea of what ForntPage is doing when you insert images etc.

Now for your problem. Are you using a template page? Could I see a snippet of the code please? Just copy it from the HTML tab and paste it here.
thedazman67
2004-11-21T16:07:22Z
Bah frontpage is everything thats wrong with web design go old skool and do it manually you learn a whole lot more that way its not hard once you get the hang of it.

a few text editors with color syntax highlighting

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
http://www.jedit.org/

thedazman
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-21T17:50:47Z
www.htmlgoodies.com  This is a great site and was used as part of the course material in my high school webmastering class. If you can do HTML, then you may want to try learning javascript. It works with HTML, and is a lot more powerful.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-21T19:19:03Z
CSS is probabaly THE most useful thing to get into when it comes to web design. It will be used more and more in the future and it is a W3C recommendation. Yeah, JavaScript is useful for any kind of functionality in a website.
Egaladeist
2004-11-22T00:32:30Z
Like I said...I'm very new at this..like 3-4 mths computers...1 and a half mths internet...but I managed to insert the piece I wanted!...I'm thinking...because I want to get a website up n' running quickly...within two mths...I won't have time to learn another application and I can always publish a new site later on using another system...( if that's possible)...I'm not looking for fancy or elaborate right now...just functional!Unless you guys know of a better system that I can learn very quickly now...so I can replace Frontpage?
Still having a few other problems with the site...once I find out how to explain the problem I'll definitely need your help to fix it...for the last three-four mths it's been mostly trial and error ( no training whatsoever )...flying by the seat of my pants...if you know what I mean!
I was even thinking of going for a presentation site using Powerpoint...even made one up...looks okay...but i don't know if it's worth bothering with.
I'll check out your suggestions for better alternatives but I'm very computer limited...so I may not be ready for more advanced systems or working directly with HTML
All advice and assistance is greatly appreciated!!!!Thanks!!!!
StukaSt1
2004-11-22T00:57:47Z
my problem with frontpage is that when I designed pages with it, it used pixel values instead of percentages so my websites looked weird on different computers, so I switched to dreamweaver but I still don't know much about web design, i think my best website was a simple one I made on a text editor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-22T09:27:52Z
Well I recommended Fusion coz it is so simple to use. It is a beginners package with more advanced features if you need them. It's just 100% better than FP.
Egaladeist
2004-11-22T19:51:35Z
Thanks, Jordon...I'll check it out!