Ramman
  •  Ramman
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-11-10T13:32:47Z
Slow day in the forums so I thought I'd post a little news .

I was reading in the VIA Arena newsletter yesterday that a new processor is being released. It's a 64 bit with a new FPU. Seems like everybody is jumping on the 64 bit bandwagon. A new process they are using will enable them to start ramping up the speed. I expect it to come out at around 1.5 or 1.6GHz. They have a Nehemiah core running at 1.4 now.

This is not going to be a powerhouse by any means, but it's a step in the right direction. VIA claims that this cpu will be able to play 3D games as well as running 2D video. They already have a pretty good mutimedia set up with thier home theater comp. Benches have it above Intel for MPEG playback. But for games, I'll have see it to believe it. I remember trying to play on a old 400 Cyrix MII, what a nightmare .
Sponsor
Ne0rC
2004-11-10T13:38:30Z
Been admiring how small they can get those mini-ITX boards, was contemplating getting one, but looked at the price tag.
Ramman
  •  Ramman
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-11-10T14:13:18Z
They have a Nano Micro ITX now. It fits in your hand. But for over $200, I can wait.
SilentSpectre
2004-11-13T00:24:17Z
It's nice to see VIA keeping up a bit. I'd really like to see them try to take a whack at the gaming cpu market though.
StukaSt1
2004-11-14T18:30:10Z
wow I might jump on a P-M for my home entertainment setup if I ever decide to make one
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-14T18:35:14Z
Yip! It's a much more viable option than VIAs current range of CPUs! Even the 1.2GHz Nemiah core can struggle with anything other than DVD playback!

I'm very fond of the Pentium M as a silence enthusiast. I think it's the best CPU architecture out there, if only Intel themsleves realised it's damn potential sooner and stopped chasing the GHz bandwaggon! Grrr
Ne0rC
2004-11-14T20:27:55Z
Kinda hard finding P-Ms other than on Fleebay.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-11-14T20:32:21Z
Newegg have had them in stock for as long as I can remeber.
Ramman
  •  Ramman
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-11-15T09:09:58Z
I've got a micro-ATX case sitting in my office at home waiting for the right CPU/mobo combo to come along. This will be my first attempt at trying to build a silent system, well as silent as I can. My wife will be getting this eventually, as her comp is in our bedroom and a noisy damn thing it is .

I figure I can finally put Jordan's tips to use. However I'm also looking for a small (in size) passive cooled vid card. The 9550 looks promising. It's about half the size of a 9600 and the performance won't be that much different. (Remember, she's using a GeF2 MX400 now.) I need the small card due to the size of the case. I want to keep the airflow as open as I can, as I want to cool the case with only one fan.
DeineMudda
2004-11-19T17:03:56Z
but it aint "so" new
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-01-24T11:05:18Z
http://www.mini-itx.com/news/76391757/ 

It might not be news to most people but I heard about this CPU a long time ago then nothing and now I stumbled upon it when recommending a link to this site. The current VIA CPUs are VERY cool running but the 1.2GHz Nehemiah cores were slower than old Celeron cores clocked at lower speeds! I have a Celeron 666MHz Passively cooled as my server and I bet it outperforms evens the Nehmiahs! Some people in the silencing community resorted to heavily underclocking Mobile XPs to levels so they could be passively cooled (about 1.1V) which also meant a very over/underclockable Mobo which just seemed like a huge waste of money to me!

Well the Geode seems the perfect answer.
SilentSpectre
2005-01-24T12:41:57Z
Via is expecting their c3 to hit 2ghz at 25w lol. It looks like there's going to be a wide range to chose from depending on your performance/power needs now I wonder if the 65 nano process will be as hard to master as 90 was. Looks like no wthat companies are getting 90 nano down the low power stuff is really getting 'cool'er than ever 😉