SantaHul
2004-09-25T10:17:12Z
Short story:
Machine froze, upon reset it gets to the scrolling Windows logo (in XP) and the quickly blue screens and resets so I can't read the error message, same in safe mode and when I tried another hard drive in the machine. Tried taking each of the memory sticks out individually and still got the message. Gonna try and get my hands on another machine that can run PC3200 so I can test further but it's proving difficult. Is it likely that it's the memory or do I need to take back the mobo? The mobo's an MSI K8N Neo Platinum with 2x 512mb PC3200 sticks. I'm a bit puzzled though because the memory test is successful and the mobo works fine and so does the BIOS until I get to the loading Windows bit but it's not the HD. Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-09-25T11:03:36Z
Try the last know good configuration option, but if that doesnt work then get your os disks and auto repair the os.
SantaHul
2004-09-26T07:06:20Z
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I've tried fixmbr and fixboot, but like I said, it's not the hard drive, it's some hardware. The hard drives will work in other machines, but all HDs give the same problem in this PC.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-09-26T09:36:16Z
When you tried another HD in the machine did you format it and install a fresh copy of Winmdows? Was this set-up working previously then just stopped working recently?
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-09-26T12:38:40Z
If the hard drive works on other machines then try clearing CMOS. That should reset the BIOS and maybe that is what is holding your system down.
SantaHul
2004-09-26T15:30:56Z
Clearing the CMOS? How's that done?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-09-26T16:12:29Z
It will tell you in the Mobo mnual. You have to move a jumper on the Mobo. You can also do it by removing the CMOS battery for a short while.
SantaHul
2004-09-27T04:14:08Z
Ahhhh, the ol' remove the battery job, done that one a couple o' times. Waiting now.
CompHobbyist
2004-09-27T08:58:07Z
BTW, I just got a system (out of a dumpster, I'm at college and me and my roommate are always grabbing computers out of the dumpster here) that had a CMOS/BIOS setup password. I tried the clear CMOS jumper multiple times, it didn't work. It turns out on that specific motherboard you had to do it with the POWER ON (!) to clear the CMOS. So if it doesn't work with it off... you may have to try it with the power on. Note that this can cause severe damage to boards that don't need it though. I was pretty sure I'd fry the board when I tried it, if it hadn't worked or had fried the board I would have just stripped it for parts and heaved it back in the dumpster.
SantaHul
2004-10-02T05:35:43Z
CMOS thing didn't work, but I may actually manage to try the memory in another machine later today.
bigbroantonio
2004-10-02T07:03:05Z
Had the same problem.

Try using another ide port on the motherboard temporarily. It's just the BIOS doing a boo boo on you. Make sure you don't use Cable Select on the HDD. To be even more sure, disconnect the other IDE port and use the HDD alone.

Also, disconnect any usb HDDs, modems and whatother you may have.

Tony

San Giovanni Rotondo