epiphoneguy
2004-08-12T16:35:27Z
Hi,
I am using a PC with an Intel Celeron processor and I want to upgrade to a P4 processor,
I understand that I will need to change my motherboard but I want to know if I can just install
the motherboard and processor and run windows and all my data off my existing harddrive or if I will have to reformat the drive. All help would be appreciated
Sponsor
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-12T16:42:13Z
Dont worry about your hard drive the only thing that you will have to do when you get your new mobo is install the drivers for it that are suppllied by the motherboard manufacturer. What kind of Socket is your mobo? If it is 478 then you dont need to get a new mobo unless you just want to.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-12T16:45:10Z
You may be able to do so but it is highly recommended that you do a format and a clean install. Windows benifits from a clean install at least once a year esp with all the ad-ware and spyware going around these days. Is your PCD factory built or self built? If it is a Dell or the likes chances are you will have to replace the PSU and case as well as they use propietary components. also your RAM might slow a new P4 down. Download and run CPU-Z (google it) and tell us what it says about your mobo and RAM.
epiphoneguy
2004-08-13T04:29:29Z
I am using a socket 478 but I want to upgrade so it can handle the new prescott chip, my PC was factory built and not supplied with a windows xp CD because it came already installed.
Do you think I could use the system restore feature before I installed the motherboard?
SS Joe
2004-08-13T05:24:12Z
I've always had to do a fresh install of windows when installing a new mobo. I didn't need to format, but without a fresh install, I kept getting the blue screen. If you have nothing important on your drive though and don't mind a format, it's really a good way to improve hard drive performance and fix and hard drive errors, and also make sure your system is clean. Since you don't have the CD though, that could be a little difficult. Your computer should have came with one, or the windows setup files should be on your HD. Do you have a Gateway or Dell? If so, your system restore feature most likley has windows on it. If your computer came with a seperate drive partition that has the system restore files on it, you should be all set. Just format your C:\\ drive, or whatever drive Does not contain the system restore files. ANd then follow your computers restore process.

But like Jordan said, if it is a Dell or Gateway or the like, your probably gonna have to replace the Case and PSU. Some major computer companys like to make it difficult on anyone but them to repair one of their computers.

And Welcome to the forums
epiphoneguy
2004-08-13T06:21:58Z
Would I be able to format the Drive after I install the new motherboard?
SilentSpectre
2004-08-13T06:51:56Z
I'm with Joe, I've never been able to pull off a mobo upgrade without doing more than a reinstall would take. As such I've made a 10gb partition to host XP and everything else goes on the other partition.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-13T07:21:35Z
Without an XP CD you won't really get far. It's odd that you wern't supplied with a CD. I mean what would happen if you HAD to format coz Windows screwed up? Do they expect you to send the thing back and pay for it to be done inc shipping?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you have an XP licence. You have the sticker on the back of the PC with the Windows serial number right? This means you can get a copy of the XP CD from anyone or anywhere and use it legally. It's just a back-up.
epiphoneguy
2004-08-13T09:04:37Z
My PC came with a program that lets me create recovery CD's that format the harddrive and reinstall windows so I guess that I should do this.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-13T10:31:11Z
It might be specifically set up for that system though, OEMs tend to do that. If you can get a copy of XP from anywhere you can legally use it.
epiphoneguy
2004-08-13T12:41:58Z
I could do that but then I wouldn't have Norton anti-virus or MS word and stuff like that installed.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-13T12:44:32Z
They put all them on the one disk! That really P***** me off! I hate getting a PC in for repair when all the drivers are on the one recovery disk...
SS Joe
2004-08-13T14:01:12Z
"Without an XP CD you won't really get far. It's odd that you wern't supplied with a CD. I mean what would happen if you HAD to format coz Windows screwed up?"

Well the thing with companys like gateway and dell, is they create a seperate partition(usually D drive) than cannot be deleted or formatted and it contains the Windows XP Set-up files, and the set-up files for all the programs that came with the computer. The auto recovery feature on them usually formats the C Drive, and then reinstalls all the factory default programs. I still thinks it's wrong though that they don't give a CD... cause if the Hard Drive it's self was actually damaged, your screwed. epiphoneguy, what kind of computer are you using? Whats the brand and model number?
odizzido
2004-08-14T00:23:51Z
I dont know if u have already done something.....but I did the exact same thing that ur about to do.

I had a celery 1.8ish and I just plopped a p4 2.66B in there and it was fine....I didn't have to reinstall anything, or set anything in the BIOS......it was easier than putting in a PCI sound card....its plug and play basically
epiphoneguy
2004-08-14T04:45:58Z
I am using a PC made by HP
and they recommend you to use a program which puts the recovery partition on discs, thats what you would use if windows screwed up.
I will probably just try using the recovery partition and if windows screws up I will just reinstall with a friends CD.