Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2004-08-12T13:31:50Z
I have read this artical about how to apply artic thermal paste. I am about to put a new heatsink and fan on a celeron 478pin and a p4 478pin and do I do the same as in the artical even though the paste is different?
Ramman
2004-08-12T13:44:20Z
That article is a good general way to apply any type of thermal compound, except for ceramique. What type of compound are you goig to use?
StukaSt1
2004-08-12T13:50:24Z
Depending on what paste you have you might have to spread it around or just put a little in the middle and let the pressure from the heatsink spread it around
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2004-08-12T13:53:48Z
There is a bag that came with the hsf and it says "heatsink compound stars". I gather that stars is the brand of paste. The other heatsink compound is made by fanner. This is the fanner link, and this is the stars link..
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-12T14:25:19Z
Using some Arctic Silver will probabaly give you temps around 2 or 3C lower.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2004-08-12T14:36:34Z
I really dont care about temps just how to apply the paste. If i dont say that it is my system in my signature then i am talking about some computers that i work on at my job.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-12T14:56:10Z
Well I always use Arctic silver Ceramique for all my builds. I don't skimp just because it's a customers PC, these go out under my name. I bought a 22g tube of ASC and it cost less than 2 2g tubes! As long as you spread out a thin, even layer it will work with watever thermal compound you use. Placing a drop in the centre only works with thinner compounds that will spread out finely when the thermal HS is seated.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2004-08-12T15:01:57Z
What about the circular hole in the p4? How would i spread the paste for it? Also, these computers that i am working on should do fine whether i get artic or not. I told my boss what i needed to get these computers up and running and gave some prices and she elected to go with the cheap thermal paste. Things would have been different if i were in charge.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-12T15:15:00Z
That hole on the P4 doesn't really matter. If you get thermal paste in it don't worry
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2004-08-12T15:31:25Z
Would it be a good idea to use a razor blade and spread a thin layer of thermal paste on the processor? What about the heatsink? Do i need to put paste there as well?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-12T15:40:57Z
It's better to use a plasticv card like a credit card as it's less likely to scratch the CPU. I use a disposable plastic bread knife! It's my trusty thermal paste spreader

I put a little on the heatsink and gently wipe of the excess. This way any fine groves will be filled and the heatsink appers as a slightly whiter/silver colour. If it a very rough base on the heatsink i always add a little extra thermal paste.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2004-08-12T15:53:55Z
Thanks for the advice. These dells are pain in the ass to work with. I had to jerrry rig my own connectors to get the power switch, hd led, and power led to connect to a non dell motherboard. Dells are cheap and upgrading is a pain. The guy from dell wanted $180 for a repacement mobo, and told him that he was out of his mind. Why would i pay $180 for a mobo when i can get one for $50 from tigerdirect?
kidgambino
2004-08-12T16:10:30Z
They are correct. The hole is for manufactering purposes only, thats a fact. My experience with AS5 and others for P4's is really the same either way. Spread it or place some on the core really has minimul effect on results. For the extra pennies for good paste is worth it. If you buy bulk like Jordan says is the best way to go, then you have good stuff for all your builds. The most important part is properly cleaning the old material off. Use 90% pure alcohol or Akasa cleaner.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-08-12T16:14:57Z
Yeah AS5 is so thin it will spread over the CPU effectively with the weight of the HS. The Ceramique is a lot more viscous and might not spread well. I use that Akasa stuff for really stubborn thermal paste and wipe of any cleaning agent throughly. If you are removing a HS with AS applied there is no need to use any clening fluid
SALADIN117
2004-08-14T13:41:10Z
what is this akasa yall are talkin about i might need it