agamelas
  •  agamelas
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-07-16T06:51:18Z
HI!!

i want to connect my two machines in a switch and the cble modem to share internet.

is it possible just connect all in the switch and voil??

explain me the procedure.

i know it is possible but dont know how... i dont want a router.....
scott4comp
2004-07-20T19:06:18Z
The only procedure is to ask your internet provider for 2 IP#'s. Each PC will ask for and be granted a discrete IP # from cable modem, which is programmed to do so by your provider.

Scott
eddyvlad
2004-07-25T00:34:57Z
Why don't you want a router? I have 2pc sharing the same ADSL using a SMC2804WBRP-G router, install like a breeze and works without a problem. Don't have to buy another IP address because it's also a gateway, acting as though it's a computer. To add, it has a built in print server and also act as a hardware firewall which you can administer using internet explorer.
As far as I know, a switch don't have all that features and generally, it's only use in offices because of the speed and expandibility. In the end, they also need a gateway to be able to connect all the computers to the internet using one ip address.
glenpinn
2004-07-25T07:24:40Z
hi amagelas.

dont bother with a router, u dont need it and if u already got an adsl modem, its cheaper to buy a switch than another multi port modem.

1. just get a multi port ethernet switch (assuming your adsl modem is connected via ethernet, not usb)
2. turn off your pc and modem.
3. plug the switch into your power mains socket.
4. plug your modem ethernet cable into socket 1 on the switch.
5. plug your 2 pc into the switch ports with networking cables
6. boot your pc, and turn the modem on

thats all u need to do ok, u will have shared internet on both pc and you will also share files/folders on each pc as well.
anyone who tells u that u need a router, or another ip adress is silly cos u dont.
i just installed my ethernet switch yesterday and when i booted both the pc up i didnt have to set any connections or networks, the pc's will auto detect the internet connection via the network cables from the modem to both pc.

im also assuming that u already have single or dual onboard 10/100 lan (ethernet controller) on both pc mobo, or u have installed a network card in both pc, otherwise u cant do it this way.

give it a go and post a reply telling how it went.

good luck.....GLEN
eddyvlad
2004-07-25T12:21:32Z
quote:

Originally posted by: glenpinn
hi amagelas.

dont bother with a router, u dont need it and if u already got an adsl modem, its cheaper to buy a switch than another multi port modem.

1. just get a multi port ethernet switch (assuming your adsl modem is connected via ethernet, not usb)
2. turn off your pc and modem.
3. plug the switch into your power mains socket.
4. plug your modem ethernet cable into socket 1 on the switch.
5. plug your 2 pc into the switch ports with networking cables
6. boot your pc, and turn the modem on

thats all u need to do ok, u will have shared internet on both pc and you will also share files/folders on each pc as well.
anyone who tells u that u need a router, or another ip adress is silly cos u dont.
i just installed my ethernet switch yesterday and when i booted both the pc up i didnt have to set any connections or networks, the pc's will auto detect the internet connection via the network cables from the modem to both pc.

im also assuming that u already have single or dual onboard 10/100 lan (ethernet controller) on both pc mobo, or u have installed a network card in both pc, otherwise u cant do it this way.

give it a go and post a reply telling how it went.

good luck.....GLEN

Dude.. is that possible? Oh yeah... I forgot that cable is always on. Don't need to dial. So... don't need a gateway. Well... I guess it should work.
glenpinn
2004-07-26T07:07:36Z
hi there.

excuse me EDDY, he never said it was dialup, my mistake for thinking he had adsl "DUDE" cos the previous reply to mine also referred to him having adsl connection.
i live in australia and we dont call dialup as cable, we call it dialup ok, so i wrongly assumed he had ADSL ok, so my apologies to the amagales for any wrongfull information.

EDDY, get off your high horse m8, u dont have to copy/paste my whole previous reply just to make a point, im not here to give out any wrongful info, but if u cant make a responsible reply, dont bother at all.
the problem in these forums there are some like u who have nothing better to do in life but to hang out in these forums going about picking mistakes out by others who post replies, u have to remember one thing "DUDE" that some countries use different terminologies for things to do with computers and internet, we in aust call "dialup" as dialup, not cable, maybe you live in usa cos thats maybe what u call it ok, so i assumed he had adsl.

next time "DUDE" why dont u try to be a bit more respectful, im no expert, i live in aust (thank god) and some things just arent as u think they might be, least i appologised to agamelas for my wrong assumption, unlike u i dont expect u to even have the repsect to appologise for your smartass reply to me. thanks a lot u pr-ck

my apologies again agamelas, if u have dialup, i cant help u ok......GLEN
MuTTeFuR
2004-07-26T20:03:19Z
hey fella calm down, it's about helping ppl not harassing them.
Getting a 2nd IP is quite expensive. What you can do is getting a router and share your Internet connection (eventhough is dial up (56k, DSL, some cable) througn NAT (Network address translation).
Another thing you can do is build your own router...havin' a pc with two NICs and enabling windows XP ICS or using a Sharing Program like Kerio, or Sygate.
If you need help, don't worry to PM me..I have done those stuff for years.
Cya,
Marco
glenpinn
2004-07-26T20:17:14Z
hi muttefur

m8, i know this is about helping people, but read the stupid reply EDDY posted, had to copy/paste my previous reply to make his point, then add 1 line of his own bagging my answer to agamelas.

i believed also that "eddy" was referring in his earlier reply that agamelas had adsl also, thats another reason i replied, so who is the one doing the harassing in here with stupid comments and reply like the one from "eddy"
least i appologised to agamelas for my misunderstanding of his internet connection and posting my reply, if he had adsl, my way was the best way to overcome his problem if he had only 1 port modem/router and didnt want to buy another multi port modem.

cheers everyone......GLEN
batwerps
2004-07-26T23:38:07Z
If his modem is only set to dish out one IP Address, then using a switch and 2 computers simutaneously won't allow both of them internet access. He may still have to call his ISP and lease a 2nd IP Address from them.

Routers are like $50 or less, depending on where you get them. And building your own is a good idea too.
glenpinn
2004-07-27T01:49:08Z
hi there again.

i just remembered back in the days when i had "dialup" with 2 comps, i did have both pc connected to the internet using one ip address and dialup via the single modem, BUT, i could only dialup on 1 pc at a time.
all i had to do was create an identical account on any other pc using my username and password, and they could dialup and logon, but as i said, only 1 connection at a time could be used.
i know its probably not what he wants, but u can do it this way if u dont want both pc on internet at the same time. (the other pc has to have phone line connected as well, piggyback off the line from the main pc.
my parents also shared my dialup account, and they lived 20 km from me.

as for doing simultaeous dialup connection, im not sure, but i know my brother had dialup in his house with 4 pc, but not sure if he had some kind of sharing connection???

just my 2 bobs worth.....GLEN
batwerps
2004-07-29T21:33:11Z
He could do that. If he did the switch, he could only have one computer on the net at a time. He could either turn it off, disable the NIC, or disconnect the cable, when he wanted the other to use the line. With that in mind, he'd have to look at his operating systems. The easiest way would be to get a router, hands down. Or he could pay extra per month to get a second IP Address and use a switch. But I don't see the point in that.