bena8705
  •  bena8705
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-06-24T10:21:53Z
Ok, i've came to terms that my motherboard probably is fried, i'll wait for my mums friend to give it the final say but i know in my heart that its fried. I've been researching, i have found the following hardware at www.overclockers.co.uk,  is this site reliable and how much do they charge for delivery?

Overclockers UK - Total: 273.6

Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-028-AB) 63.39
AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2500+ 333FSB (Socket A) CPU - Retail (CP-040-AM) 58.69
TwinMOS 512MB DDR PC3200 73.44
CoolerMaster Centurion 2 - Silver (No PSU) (CA-052-CM) 39.89
Chieftec Active PFC 360W PSU (CA-038-CT) 38.19

Will the above hardware work, will the motherboard fit in the case and will all the components be compatible? I currentlt have a PSU but i need a new one, its 300w but its so clogged up with dust its unbelievable, since i know that the things can carry around 10 000v in the capacitors i don't really want to be opening it.

I chose the 2500+ Barton Core because i believe that it is good for overclocking?
HotshotUK
2004-06-24T10:40:56Z
If you got the 2500 Mobile instead (depending on your budget of course - you could get the 2600 M), the mobile range have unlocked multipliers and their low voltages r0x0r5 yer 50x0rs.

But yeah - the rest of the system will fit together no worries.
SS Joe
2004-06-24T11:19:19Z
Thread Moved to Workshop

Yup, if your going to OC an Athlon XP, stick with the Mobile chips. And in case your wondering, the Mobile chips work in desktops. Also, that 512MB, is it two sticks of 256MB or 1 stick of 512MB? If you get two sticks, you can run the ram in dual channel mode... there isn't as much of a performance increase as you'd get out of an Intel Set-up with dual channel, but with Athlon XP's I think you get around a 5% increase in memory bandwidth running dual channel.
bena8705
  •  bena8705
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-06-24T12:31:32Z
Its one 512 chip, i do quite a bit of 3D-Graphics etc so eventually i want to buy another 512 chip (The same one) and have 1024MB.

Oh and i have just had a last ditch attempt at salvaging my PC, i'm really worried, could i have fried it by touching the MoBo? I wore a wrist strap at all times, i've read somewhere that you have to have the PC plugged in but switched off at the mains? I couldn't do this as my room has no switch on the mains.

Also what will i need for the PC? I have all the other hardware but do i need to buy the heatsink adhesive seperately? What about IDE cables etc?

Could someone please tell me if Overclockers UK is a reputable retailer? Also what are the returns/delivery policies?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-24T12:32:56Z
The Mobile chips are more expensive and you will need a good heatsink like the Coolermaster Aero 7+ so just go with the 2400+ Mobile if the money's tight. Everything about overcloking can be found here

They are very reliable and have a great delivery service. All the PCs I build I get almost all parts from OCers UK. To check delivery price just go to checkout. It will tell you the final price, rmeber nothing goes through til you put in your card details and confirm it.

TYry the GeIL 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeIL_Value.html  RAM for a matched pair that will OC ok, it's cheaper than the TwinMOS too!

Also if you like the look of the Antec Sonata or Lanboy these both come with a PSU included.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-24T12:37:49Z
I psoted at the same time as you so to answer your other questions:

If it is a retail CPU it will come with the basic stock cooler and thermal material. I strongly recommend geting a Mobile, a Coolermaster Aero 7+ ansd some Arctic Silver 5/Ceramique thermal compound and use the guide here to install it: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arc..._silver_instructions.htm 

If you can afford the twin pack of Geil 1GB now get 1x512MB stick of that now and one later.
SS Joe
2004-06-24T12:43:46Z
"Oh and i have just had a last ditch attempt at salvaging my PC, i'm really worried, could i have fried it by touching the MoBo? I wore a wrist strap at all times, i've read somewhere that you have to have the PC plugged in but switched off at the mains? I couldn't do this as my room has no switch on the mains."

It's possible, but since you used the wrist straps I dunno... still possible though.

"Also what will i need for the PC? I have all the other hardware but do i need to buy the heatsink adhesive seperately? What about IDE cables etc?"

Don't by Heatsink Adhesive for your CPU. There is Thermal Paste and Thermal Adhesive paste, the regular paste is used to just fill in the small cracks of a Heatsink and CPU, where as the Adhesive is really and Adhesive and will make removing your CPU from your Heatsink a real pain. When you buy a fan or retail CPU, sometimes thermal paste comes with it but it's usually just generic stuff. If you want some top quality stuff, try Arctic Silver 3 or 5. As for IDE Cables, I think the NF7-S comes with one, so if you have more than 1 HD, you might want to buy another(Unless you want to use the ones from your old computer).
bena8705
  •  bena8705
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-06-24T12:54:34Z
Thanks the the information, i really appreciate it. I'll try to get my dad to order it for me, i only have a savings card which can't be used online .

Anything else i should know before i order?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-24T13:12:00Z
Are you going for the Mobile Athlon XP, thermal paste and Coolermaster and the Geil RAM?

Are you using the old HD from your other system etc?
bena8705
  •  bena8705
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-06-24T13:18:36Z
Ok, sorry for the double post but i just wanted to check, will the following work, i have included the Mobile CPU, Silver Compound stuff and Aero 7+ Will all this work together?

I'm just eager to order, its all ready and rearing to be ordered

GeIL 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE5123200BDC) (MY-004-GL)

Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-028-AB)

Coolermaster Aero 7+ (Socket A) (HS-006-CM)

AMD Athlon "Mobile" XP2500-M Barton 266FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM (CP-076-AM)

CoolerMaster Centurion 2 - Silver (No PSU) (CA-052-CM)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC)

Total 264.44
bena8705
  •  bena8705
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-06-24T13:21:04Z
Sorry Jordan, you must have posted at the same time or near abouts.

Using old HDD and optical drives etc.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-24T13:27:39Z
Yip sounds great. PC components are all made universally to work together, so as long as you get the RAM at the right speed to match the Mobo etc it should all work fine. Sometimes there can be compatability issues between certain brands but you never know unless you try EVERY combination.

The components you have selected should work together and it's nothing to worry about. So go for it! It's a very nice set-up! How old is the HD? If it is old and slow you might find that it slows the whole system down now that you have a faster one. Just make sure you format the HD when you get the new system and reintsall Windows and all the lastest drivers, don't try and take any shortcuts here.

EDIT: Just saw in your sig you have a 5200RPM drive. You might want to upgrade this to a more recent 7200RPM drive. If games are your thing a better graphics card (such as the 9800 Pro or 5900XT) would be a better upgrade than another 512MB RAM.
bena8705
  •  bena8705
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-06-24T13:41:35Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Jordan
Yip sounds great. PC components are all made universally to work together, so as long as you get the RAM at the right speed to match the Mobo etc it should all work fine. Sometimes there can be compatability issues between certain brands but you never know unless you try EVERY combination.

The components you have selected should work together and it's nothing to worry about. So go for it! It's a very nice set-up! How old is the HD? If it is old and slow you might find that it slows the whole system down now that you have a faster one. Just make sure you format the HD when you get the new system and reintsall Windows and all the lastest drivers, don't try and take any shortcuts here.

EDIT: Just saw in your sig you have a 5200RPM drive. You might want to upgrade this to a more recent 7200RPM drive. If games are your thing a better graphics card (such as the 9800 Pro or 5900XT) would be a better upgrade than another 512MB RAM.

Thankyou so much for the information, i'll keep the HDD and Graphics card for the time being, i bought the card when i was a little strapped for cash, i've heard the 9600XTs are good so thats my next investment.

Thankyou again - Ben

Edit: That sucks, my dads out of cash for a bit so it looks like i have a little wait on my hands
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-24T14:04:23Z
Well when you do come into money... avoid the 9600XT! About 6 months or more ago these cards were good value for money. Now it is well worth the extra for the cards I mentioned or the 9700 Pro on OCers (great price!)
Stonesfan
2004-06-24T18:09:51Z
Quote:

Originally posted by SS Joe
"Oh and i have just had a last ditch attempt at salvaging my PC, i'm really worried, could i have fried it by touching the MoBo? I wore a wrist strap at all times, i've read somewhere that you have to have the PC plugged in but switched off at the mains? I couldn't do this as my room has no switch on the mains."

It's possible, but since you used the wrist straps I dunno... still possible though.

don't you just love physics?