ncc1701e
2004-06-17T07:42:15Z
I have a Geforce FX5600 (xfx)

Take a look at the Stock Heatsink fan here...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...-8511&CatId=935 

(N.B. Mine is 5600 but the onboard heatsink is exactly the same)

Do you thing the Zalman ZM80C-HP (without fan - I have two fans at the side of the case
pushing air inside on the Gcard) will peroform better than the stock one or at least the same?

The stock one is making lots of noise and i want to change it...

What do you think?

Thanks m8s
Sponsor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-17T08:39:22Z
Your link doesn't work. The Zalman ZM80C-H is excellent though. If noise is the reason you want to change it then go for it but are you absolutely sure it is the graphics card fan making the noise?

To test this stop the fan by pressing down on the middle of it while it is spinning for a breif second to hear if it cuts out the noise. With 2 case fans right next to it and a CPU fan and a PSU just above it it is easy to mis-judge where the noise is comming from.

The thing is your card really isn't that powerful and doesn't heat up much so I feel putting an expensive cooler like that on it is a bit of a waste really. The cheaper/older Zalman heatpipe cooler would be cheaper and still cool that card effectively.
ncc1701e
2004-06-17T09:14:41Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Jordan
Your link doesn't work. The Zalman ZM80C-H is excellent though. If noise is the reason you want to change it then go for it but are you absolutely sure it is the graphics card fan making the noise?

To test this stop the fan by pressing down on the middle of it while it is spinning for a breif second to hear if it cuts out the noise. With 2 case fans right next to it and a CPU fan and a PSU just above it it is easy to mis-judge where the noise is comming from.

The thing is your card really isn't that powerful and doesn't heat up much so I feel putting an expensive cooler like that on it is a bit of a waste really. The cheaper/older Zalman heatpipe cooler would be cheaper and still cool that card effectively.

Sorry - here is the link http://www.tigerdirect.com/appl...pNo=716809&Sku=P450-8511 

Not same Gcard but same heatsink

Would the Zalman older heatpipe cool it efficiently? thanks
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-17T09:16:30Z
"Would the Zalman older heatpipe cool it efficiently?"

Yip, like i said it's not a very powerful crd so it really doesn't heat up mush. Just make sure it will fit first. Check the Zalman website.
ncc1701e
2004-06-17T09:18:28Z
Quote:

Yip, like i said it's not a very powerful crd so it really doesn't heat up mush. Just make sure it will fit first. Check the Zalman website.

Checking right now!
ncc1701e
2004-06-17T09:32:05Z
Quote:

checked - seems everything ok - i'm ordering it