Jay
  •  Jay
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-06-15T10:50:17Z
SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -- June 14, 2004 --Today AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced a technology milestone with the completed design of its AMD64 dual-core processors. AMD plans to deliver high-performance dual-core products to the x86 server market in mid-2005 and introduce dual-core solutions for high-end client PCs in the second half of 2005.

To meet customer and partner needs, AMD has been developing its multi-core processors for several years. Since the AMD64 platform was first discussed publicly in 1999, AMD indicated that its AMD64 technology would support multiple-core processors. As more solution providers join the AMD64 ecosystem, the industry is approaching the day when 32-bit-only systems or 32-bit-only dual-core processors will become obsolete.

Because AMD has always listened to our customers, we anticipated an industry shift toward multi-tasking applications requiring the scalability that only 64-bit dual-core processors can provide, said Dirk Meyer, executive vice president, Computation Products Group, AMD. That is why years ago we designed AMD64 technology from the ground up to be optimized for multiple cores.

Read the Full PR Here 
JoeyDee
2004-06-15T12:17:41Z
Down with Intel maybe?
Grahf
2004-06-15T18:05:03Z
They haven't entered production that. All this means is that the design is complete (Intel's dualcore plans are not). When they design this stuff they run a "virtual chip" on a computer to sort out any design flaws. This is all that is. AMD could still run into fabrication problems. I doubt it, considering their good yields and that they have sampled 9nm chips for a while.
sparK
2004-06-15T18:59:20Z
lol, no sooner is the ink dry on Intel's latest cpu announcement, then AMD is already trying to market their version of it. maybe Al Gore is a marketing consultant for AMD now, since he invented the internet.

one might even be tempted to think there's something going on behind the scenes. Intel does need at least 1 competitor, not to be considered a monopoly...
SS Joe
2004-06-15T19:19:18Z
"lol, no sooner is the ink dry on Intel's latest cpu announcement, then AMD is already trying to market their version of it."

"Since the AMD64 platform was first discussed publicly in 1999, AMD indicated that its AMD64 technology would support multiple-core processors"

It sounds to me like AMD had this in mind awhile ago so I don't think they're trying to follow Intel on anything.
odizzido
2004-06-16T00:28:28Z
if I remember correctly both of them have had thie eyes on 2Xcore for quite a while.
Grahf
2004-06-16T00:32:23Z
Both Intel and AMD have talked about it in passing for over a decade. AMD was the first to announce they are actually designing a chip to have that functionality from the beginning.
SilentSpectre
2004-06-16T02:15:39Z
Yes the idea of dual core is an older one...but I have to admit AMD's idea of plugging a dual core chip into all existing 940 boards is very promising. I hope intel follows this suit and allows their next set of xeon boards to be dual core upgradable.

At any rate - it could also mean that the next set of MS OSes could run well on existing platforms for once...and that's kind of exciting