SaintDragon
2004-06-07T03:38:45Z
Hi guys,
I have few question on adding hard drives to my system.
My system currently have 4 hard drives but I still have spaces for 2 more hard drives and so I am wondering whether Enermax 550W power supply is ok to run them. :confused:
Also do you know how much temperature will each hard drive produce if they are active?
Hope you can help me.
Jim
Sponsor
Grahf
2004-06-07T04:05:58Z
That all depends. The power supply should be fine though unless you are sucking real juice for the latest procs or graphics cards.

As far as the heat issue that depends what brand you get. Seagates will be the coolest running (and more quiet). WD will be cheap and fast but hot and loud in comparison to the others. Maxtor will be the fastest of the bunch but cost more and run hotter than Seagate but not so much as the WDs. They are all different but closer than those differences would lead you to believe. Just buy the brand you can get the best deal on. If you just want them for backup get Seagates.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-07T06:58:24Z
"Maxtor will be the fastest of the bunch but cost more"

Maxtor's are the exact opposite - Slow and cheap.

Hitachi make the fastest IDE drives and while the Segates and Samsungs are the queit the Samsung drives are even quieter.

Make sure you have air circulating around all these HDs! Some good intake fans at the front and the same ammount at the rear and maybe even put a fan behind the HDs by just mounting it on the HD rack with cable ties.
Grahf
2004-06-07T08:56:40Z
Maxtors slow? Take two Diamond 9s and put those in RAID0, quite speedy.
RudyR1999
2004-06-07T09:52:06Z
-All brands have their good HDDs and their bad HDDs. I do belive that Samsug HDDs are just rebranded Hitachi HDDs. If you want all out quiet operation Samsungs are great.

-Another thing to consider is... are you going to use these HDDs just for storage. If you are get the biggest slowest HDD around. Not only will the slower (5400rpm vers 7200+rpm) HDD be quieter but you will also save money or you will be able to get a higher capacity HDD.

-As for your highend 550 watt PSU doing the job, yes its fine. Not only is 550 watts more then enough (even with high end PC parts). You also have a high quality PSU built by Enermax.

-Now for temps. Unless your running your computer 24/7, or you already have a tempature problem. Dont worry about it. The tempature increase is very small 1-2C. You might see higher temp spikes when the HDDs are writing and reading for extended periods of time.

-Now some questions for you.....

You have enough IDE/SATA slots to add these HDDs?
What are you using these HDDs for?
What is your budget?
What is your expectations for these HDDs; size, speed, brand?

As for this speed issue.... All HDDs are slow from your puny 5200RPM drives to your Scuzi's. The HDD companies need to get their foot out of their butt and create fast more powerfull HDDs. Everything from LAN cards to CPUs are growing by leaps and bounds in speed. HDDs just come out with SATA, now that is one baby step move. That just pissed me off. Where is this 350ATA that SATA is capable of? Why make a interface that cant be used in its full potential. Going from 133ATA to 150ATA is very small in terms of speed increases in the computer world. They do need to drop mechanical operation. They have already made solid state storage solutions that stomp on any HDD today.
^Bad_Boy^
2004-06-07T09:54:50Z
Hitachi HDDs are Faster than Maxtor HDDs
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-07T10:08:28Z
I doub't that the Samsungs are re-badged Hitachis because of just how quiet and cool running they are. The Samsung site and all the technology they used to develop such quiet HD convinces me.

I wouldn't worry about case temps but I would worry for the HDs being close together, better to get the heat out of the one area.

Hitachi's or Samsungs in RAID0 will be faster again than maxtors.
^Bad_Boy^
2004-06-07T10:19:08Z
^ I'm with him
RudyR1999
2004-06-07T11:26:21Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Jordan
I doub't that the Samsungs are re-badged Hitachis because of just how quiet and cool running they are. The Samsung site and all the technology they used to develop such quiet HD convinces me.

I wouldn't worry about case temps but I would worry for the HDs being close together, better to get the heat out of the one area.

Hitachi's or Samsungs in RAID0 will be faster again than maxtors.

I did say "I belive" I wasnt 100% shure on the fact. Some of you might think my Super Moderator title means I'm God, but that is not true. I can be wrong some times.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-07T11:47:12Z
I did say "I belive" I wasnt 100% shure on the fact.

Yeah I know, I was just forwarding my opposing opinion

The Super Mod status can be a little intimidating and I think BB was agreeing with me on the Hitachi vs Maxtor debate coz he also knows then to be the fastest IDE drives.
RudyR1999
2004-06-07T14:33:42Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Jordan
The Super Mod status can be a little intimidating

:bowdown: Bow down before me :bowdown:

I am Super Moderator!!! Muahahahahaha, Muahahahahahahaha. Feel my wrath pee-ons.

Just kidding all
Ramman
2004-06-07T15:04:48Z
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-07T15:57:24Z
^^:bowdown:

^:bowdown2:
Grahf
2004-06-07T16:49:23Z
Ya'll are complaining about hard drives being slow. So what? Once the necessary files are loaded in RAM who cares. For files like video that are too large to store completely in RAM you don't need that speed anyways. Also, argue size versus speed. A lot of those extremely fast SCSI drives are running multiple platters at one time to get their speed (hence small capacity). If your REALLY looking for speed get either Seagate Cheetahs (SCSI Ultra160) or RAID0 array WD Raptors. IMHO that is a waste of money unless you require it for like video editing or something. If you are gaming, etc. then it is simply a waste.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-06-07T16:55:59Z
It's just logic. Get the fastest drive for your money. You mention SCSI and the very expensive Raptors but we are talking about drives from the same price range here. Why opt for Maxtors when you can get faster and quieter drives which are just as realiable for the same price? I would completely agree with you if we were talking about buying Raptors for basic day to day use, it's like buying performance RAm with tighter timings and paying $100 extra for the privelage and then not using it to OC etc.

HDs are the slowest component in any modern PC, as you well know the rest of the system can be sitting idle while the HD seeks and transfers files. The Hitachis drives will do this quicker. Maybe not by THAT much in real terms but the actual seek and write times make a difference under continuous use no matter what tasks you are doing. So why not go for the faster drives?