Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2004-04-20T15:39:42Z
OK I'm lost and it's you guys that have lost me (not pointing any fingers). For so long around here I heard ALL the next gen cards would be PCI Express ONLY. I thought it would be a bad move by the companies but I accepted it anyway. Now the 6800 has emerged and guess what... it's AGP...

Anyway, surely it's better equiped to take advantage of 8x or does the fact that it needs to be backwardly compatable with 4x limit it?

EDIT: and please no posts from newbs trying to explain to me what AGP 8x and PCI Express are :rolleyes:
Sponsor
Faluzure
2004-04-20T15:56:57Z
my guess at this point is that you will notice a huge difference between 8x and 4x. It didnt matter to much with the last gen, but lots more data is being swapped now then before... perhaps asking the HH reviewer of the 6800ULTRA might be a possibility to find out the answer to this question
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2004-04-20T15:57:55Z
"perhaps asking the HH reviewer of the 6800ULTRA might be a possibility to find out the answer to this question"

Yeah, good suggestion. Thanks
Telexen
2004-04-20T21:37:25Z
The only hint that AGP was being dropped is by Intel dropping support for it in their upcoming chipsets.

Of course new cards will come in AGP flavors, it's absolutely retarded not to. (Intel has a reason for dropping support for it though).

They will have PCI Express versions as well...which are due later (a few months at most after AGP versions)
RudyR1999
2004-04-20T22:24:54Z
Funny thing is that AGP 8x hasent even been fully taken advantage of. With future games we could see 8x being fully used, but as of now nope. Personally I think the manufactures are pushing PCIX is that the new socket supports higher voltages. I miss the days of not pluging the video card into the PSU. Just makes things messy.

I had no doubt that AGP would stay around. Manufactures would be nuts not to support AGP. Expecially with all the new computers that are being built right now.
Shaunotto
2004-04-23T10:50:15Z
Yes these new cards (6800Ultra and X800XT) will be AGP aswell, of course but the HIGH-END ones after these new ones, NEXT years ones will likely ONLY support PCI-E. So bye bye bye AGP altogether sooner or later. That's what Nivida has said to have reported
Shaunotto
2004-04-23T10:51:31Z
But there is a chance that next years cards might keep AGP, its in speculation, even if they do. I would say definately in 2 years time there will be no AGP.
CompHobbyist
2004-04-23T15:03:04Z
Yeah, having to connect the PSU to the video card must really stink, it would mess up an otherwise neat case and waste a drive power connector. I think that if they need that much power, they should put the connector over at the bracket end, facing straight away from the edge connector, because that way you can run the power cable right along the top of the card bay openings and it doesn't look so bad. Just my $2.00010¯
Nerts
2004-04-23T23:18:29Z
I know the 6800 uses a bridge chip (something like that) what that does is it changes the signal from agp to pcix so in theory once they due move it to pcix it will be a little slower because it has to change the code (or whatever it does) around to work with pcix. Ati offers native pcix support so there shouldn't be that problem. Even though i highly doubt it's going to make a big difference if any at all.

i hope that wasn't "please no posts from newbs trying to explain to me what AGP 8x and PCI Express are"
Shaunotto
2004-04-25T10:14:43Z
We alllllll know about bridge chips Nerty nerts
xtremeskier97
2004-04-25T13:03:41Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Shaunotto

ALL people may not know what they are. I know, as do a lot of HHers, but not EVERYONE knows about bridge chips.
CompHobbyist
2004-04-25T14:13:49Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Shaunotto

That is a really annoying way to talk to people BTW, Shauny Shaun :rofl: (just saying it that way to prove a point)

Anyways, some people don't know about bridge chips.
Nerts
2004-04-26T01:54:26Z
Hence why i said it
tesla_rage
2004-04-26T04:02:43Z
when do u guys think that PCI-X going to be launched? im really interested in it performance... and how the market is going to react towards it...

just waiting for HH to review a card running on PCI-X
Telexen
2004-04-26T13:00:59Z
Probably June...