entermymatrix03
2004-04-19T11:05:44Z
half-life 2 just got delayed AGAIN!!!! EB's website has it down for coming out on 8/2/04. doom 3 still has the same date as it did a couple of months ago (6/15/04). maybe we will get it this time. man, my day was just ruined because of this. that sounds sad and all but i've waited a long time for HL2, i wanted it right after i finished the 1st one.
Sponsor
RudyR1999
2004-04-19T11:19:42Z
This has gotta be a record or something. This game has almost been delayed a year past the original relase date.
Laggerzero
2004-04-19T19:04:27Z
Anyone remember warcraft3? was supposed to be released in 2000 but came out in 2002 if I recall correctly
Telexen
2004-04-19T19:43:53Z
Valve is teh lose.
SS Joe
2004-04-19T19:47:22Z
I stopped caring months ago.
FeaR
  •  FeaR
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-04-19T22:16:13Z
yea, i stopped caring laste week and just am waiting for doom3

"it'll be ready, when it's ready"
entermymatrix03
2004-04-21T10:18:55Z
just checked again and it got moved back to 9/1/04 now.....this is getting crazy and absurd.
wev
  •  wev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-04-21T10:53:11Z
Quote:

Originally posted by RudyR1999
This has gotta be a record or something. This game has almost been delayed a year past the original relase date.

duke nulem forever anyone ? 3years is it now.. and a release "date of its done when its done"
wev
  •  wev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-04-21T10:56:05Z
anyonw think dates beening changed might have something to do with xbox versions. appaerently microsoft conviced the makers that doom 3 should be released at the same time on the pc and xbox when orginally the xbox version was gonna be later
RudyR1999
2004-04-21T11:40:24Z
Quote:

Originally posted by wev
when orginally the xbox version was gonna be later

Like it should be! Seems like us PC users are getting screwed more and more. If it wasn't for us PC users DOOM, HL, ect... wouldn't be getting into their 3rd and 4th series or more series. Personally I think Platform makers are getting scared. With SFF PCs getting to be smaller and bader. People are realitlizing that spending $300-400 in a platform maching that can only run games is stupid. Plus the price tag of $50-60 bucks for a game is horrible. Its only weakness is multiplayer, with the exception of LAN. Multiplaying on a single PC sucks.
Thunder Chunks
2004-04-21T11:52:54Z
Its not just single platform..... How many people spent hundreds updating their PC almost a year ago so that they would be ready to play HL2? How many people spent over 300 quid on a 9700 or 5800 not knowing they would be surpased by yet another graphics card (which will probably be more suited to the game) prior to its release. I even saw magazine articles on how to get your PC ready for its release. I feel sorry for those guys, especially the younger ones without the wedge to keep upgrading. If anything I think that fact alone makes it obvious why games are made for 'games machines'. It makes them accessable for all without having to fork out for an annual upgrade.

HL2 doesn't just ask questions about release dates for the PC. It asks questions about the PC as a stable gaming platform. Quite obviously...... its not!
RudyR1999
2004-04-21T12:28:17Z
Wrong wrong wrong wrong. I'm sorry but a 9700 and a 5800 will run the game just fine. Even the games that are produced 2 years down the road. You just can't run them at full quality. There is no reason to consially upgrading. Its nice to see that the video card makers are getting off their asses and putting out some wonderfull GPU's. No reason to upgrade though. A 4 year old TI4600 will run HL2 and Doom3 just fine. The problem lies where there is not a standard in PC gamming. Since one persons PC runs better then theirs. That person thinks they need to upgrade. Which isn't the case. Many PC gamers think if their card dosent run at full quality at 1600x1200 with AA and AF they need to upgrade. Which is a horrible way to look at things. Even a GF3 TI500 is better then the PS2.
Thunder Chunks
2004-04-21T13:10:23Z
Rudy you miss the point. The GF3 Ti500 might be better than the PS2 as a 'single component' however, as a whole a PC which is more than three years old is not going to come close to a PS/2 or XBOX for reliability with modern games. There will be too many conflicting issues. As you said it all comes to a 'standard' in PC gaming. Its just not possible to have one.

The whole point driving the hardware industry IS that peoply think they need to upgrade (MORE POWER!). Would graphics card companies release almost annual upgrades if that wasn't the case? People got the 9700 and the 5800 because they wanted 'the best' available when the game came out. The fact is when the cards get superceded thats no longer the case. How many posts were ther for 'Will my PC run HL2' or 'What graphics card is best for HL2/ Doom 3'?

It may not seem it but I do agree with the main point you are making, my ti4800 handles games like CoD fantastically, even with a sluggish 1.7ghz processor and SD Ram backing it up. Even Far Cry is playble something I wouldnt have dreamt of as possible when I first saw the specs required. I intend keeping this system for as long as possible believe me.....

Yet, this is a games forum, most of us post here because we love gaming. As shallow as it is a major part of gaming pleasure is the eye candy that comes with it. I don't doubt that the 9700 and 5800 will run both games superbly. ITS JUST THAT I WANT THE LATEST BIT OF SHINY HARDWARE AVAILABLE FOR THE LATEST SHINY GAMES THAT COME ONTO THE SHELVES...... Its only human nature. If I'd had to shell out 300 quid for a graphics card a year ago to do that I'd be pretty miffed with the delays that have taken place.