dudman
  •  dudman
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-04-15T11:07:48Z
This is really weird. My Toshiba DVD SD-M1202 has worked flawlessly for 5 years. Today I pushed the 'open' button and put in a disc and closed it. The read light flashed several times and the drawer opened. Device Manager shows that the drive and drivers are properly installed.

After several attempts, I removed the drive from the system using the hardware wizard. Then I rebooted and Windows automatically reinstalled the drivers (probably from protected .dll's). When I tried to read a disc, the same problem occurred.

Has anyone seen this problem -- and more importantly, how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Dudley
dudman_at_verizonmail.com
Sponsor
CompHobbyist
2004-04-15T12:22:15Z
This could be one of several things:
1 - some viruses open and close your optical drives just to mess with your head. Try a virus scan first, before you start mucking with the hardware.
2 - the disk could be dirty I think, I've heard of some drives that will spit the disk out if it can't read it properly and knows that there is a disk in the tray.
3 - the limit switch in the drive could be broken - this is the switch that detects when the drive door is all the way shut. I have seen drives go absolutely nuts because the switch was broken, they kept opening and closing the tray constantly until the system was turned off.
Ramman
2004-04-15T13:01:15Z
Could be what CompHobbyist said. Besides a dirty disc, the drive itself could be dirty. Also it could be the drive after 5 years of use has gone bad. Do you have another system to try it in, a friends perhaps? If it works, then we need to do some more digging, in not, it's time for a new drive. Luckily they are pretty cheap, I just got one for my daughters system for under $30.