takumi86
  •  takumi86
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-04-10T23:55:46Z
I recently purchased a Western Digital 160gb usb 2.0 external harddrive. I have plugged it into my usb 2 port but it is very slow. I benchmarked the transfer rates and its lower than 1mb/s, takes about 5 minutes to transfer a 100mb file from another hd. Having read some reviews I believe it should be closer to 30mb/s.

I have tried updating the usb 2 drivers and I'm sure its usb 2 because device manager shows via usb enhanced host controller.

I knew that the external was going to be slower than my internal hds but not this slow! Its very frustrating please help. Thanks in advance.
pcs2000
2004-04-11T07:44:02Z
It sounds like it is operating at USB 1.1 rate. Check drivers and is the a indicator light to confirms connection speed?
takumi86
  •  takumi86
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-04-11T11:33:40Z
Thanks for your quick reply, I think that was the problem. I kinda fixed it acidently. The power to the drive came off while i was moving something else around and when i pluged it back in, windows gave a warning for the first time that I was pluging a high speed device into a non high speed port. That was wierd because I thought it was a usb 2 card. Anyway I changed to a different port on the same card and amazingly it works at the proper speed now. So its all good but sometimes with computers I never know how the problem was fixed.

Thanks again.