natesi
  •  natesi
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-04-04T16:12:56Z
I currently have a Western Digital 7200RPM drive with an 8MB cache. My swap file is on a second WD 7200 drive with a 2MB cache.

I run WinXP Pro and have a Promise FastTrak 376 controller build in to my mo/bo, which can do hardware RAID0 and RAID1. I have an opportunity to maybe get two Maxtor 7200 RPM drives with 2MB cache each (DiamondMax Plus 9) for free.

If I put two of those Maxtors in a RAID0 array would it be faster than my WD drive with 8MB cache? My swap file would still stay on my other drive.

Finally, assuming it would be faster, would I notice a difference? Would it be worth it, on other words?

Also, I read somewhere that RAID1 also had faster read performance, but maybe not as fast as raid0? Is that true? If so, would I be better off going with a RAID1 configuration? Im assuming if its slower than RAID0 I wouldnt notice a difference between what I have now.

Thanks!

-nate
Sponsor
natesi
  •  natesi
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-04-04T16:34:51Z
I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Can someone move it for me please? I'm a newb here....

thanks,

-nate
Telexen
2004-04-04T16:42:02Z
I'm working on getting someone to move the thread

In the meantime...yeah I'd go for it. Heck why not benchmark both configurations (one drive, then the RAID setup) and see which one ends up faster and go with it.

RAID1 provides slightly better read performance than normal...but it's mirroring rather than striping so RAID0 kicks it's but in performance and you only get the space of one drive.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-04-04T20:22:42Z
I would recommend RAID0 but use one of those WD's as a backup drive. Back up all the files that are important to you every so often.

What do you do with your PC? If it isn't for video editing (huge benifits here), manipulating large images or to some extent, games it really might not be worth it.
natesi
  •  natesi
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-04-04T20:35:55Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Jordan
I would recommend RAID0 but use one of those WD's as a backup drive. Back up all the files that are important to you every so often.

What do you do with your PC? If it isn't for video editing (huge benifits here), manipulating large images or to some extent, games it really might not be worth it.

Thanks for the input. Of the thinks you mentioned, mostly gaming. But I'm not hardcore. I just saw a cheap way to speed up my computer, plus I've never installed XP with a RAID array, so it would be a learning exercise as well.

BTW, I should have matching HD drives, right? It would be bad to use my current WD with the Maxtor, yes?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-04-04T20:48:10Z
THe RAID0 won't work over 2 different HDs. Maybe you missunderstood. You would have the 2 Maxtors you mentioned as the RAID array with the WD as a seperate bak-up drive.

You need to make sure you have enough IDE/SATA ports for all your HDs and optical drives.

But to be honest RAID0 isn't really a good place to start for a performance boost. Tell us more about your system. There's probably much more effective and less costly upgrades available to you.
natesi
  •  natesi
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-04-04T23:50:15Z
My basic system consists of:
PIV 2.4GHz (533FSB) over clocked slightly to 2.44 (could overclock much morejust not sure how much life it will take off the CPU/system)
512MB Corsiar 3200DDR (XMS line)
128MB Sapphire (Radeon) 9800 Pro
All running on an Albatron 845PE ProII motherboard (Intel 845PE chipset)(love this board)
1 WD 7200 rpm drive w/ 8MB cache (system/boot) formatted NTFS
1 WD 7200 rpm drive w/2MB cache (page file here) Fat32
Antec SLK3700AMB case w/ huge, thick 120mm fan in the back, and thin 120mm fan in the front.
Antec True430 power supply
Card cooler (two 80mm fans sitting over the video card, blowing air all over the place)

Fast CD writer, Fast DVD drive, Zip drive, bla, bla, bla. All fans mentioned above are controlled by Vantec Nexus rheostat. I use stock Intel HSF combo and temps usually average between 82-86F depending on ambient temps. CPU never gets above 100F unless its summer, Im gaming, and roasting in my room. but then I generally turn on the air-conditioner. The board usually runs on the mid to upper 70s(F).

Ive had the system for almost a year and a half (less the video card). It use to seem more snappybut I suppose a fresh reinstall of XP would help too. Plus, my room mate always gets viruses, so I run Norton now, which might slow things down a bit.

If I could improve something it would be game performance in Enemy Territory. I have everything turned on the max and sometimes touch the 30fps mark when things get busy, especially graphics wise. Generally, Id say it hovers in the mid 40s to 60fps though. I dont think the limitation is the 9800 because when I go from 1024X768, to 1280X1024, and then to 1600X1280 there is almost no difference in performance.

I know RAID0 wouldnt help with the gaming stuff, but I just thought it would be cool if my system was faster day-to-day, to maybe get some of the snappiness back into it.

What is your take on overclocking this baby? Also, Ive heard about overclocking the video card, but dont know anything about that. I dont want to do anything that would really decrease the life of my components. The RAM and motherboard Im not so worried about, since they were made with faster speeds in mind. Mostly the CPU and graphics card I dont want to kill.
Telexen
2004-04-05T03:47:58Z
For overclocking that card you can use RivaTuner

When you overclock the CPU, you natively overclock the RAM with it if it's left at 1:1...even if it's not it's best to run the RAM higher if possible. To overclock it head into yoru BIOS and slowly start making increases on the FSB and testing the stability afterwords.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-04-05T06:37:18Z
That's a pretty good system. There's not much to recommend upgrading so OCing more would be a good option. If you have extra cash that you want to spend and would like extra HD space anyway go for that raid0 set-up
xtremeskier97
2004-04-05T13:03:16Z
Get rid of Norton! It is a resource hog! I use McAfee and uses very little resources.

Yes, just a clean load of Windows may help a lot, but if you are getting the HDDs for FREE, then do it! It aint costin you nothin and you will get a performance boost from the RAID 0 and from a clean load of Windows (plus a learning experience like you mentioned)
frak
  •  frak
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-04-07T03:43:32Z
once you go raid-0, you'll never go back.

I've got a raid-0 stripe in all my machines cept for the notebook.

performance difference is huge.