bibite
  •  bibite
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-06T19:00:48Z
This is a bit strange. My bf has been trying to get F1 Challenge running for a for weeks now, but with no luck. The funny thing is, he had installed the game quite some months ago and had no problems with it, but has reinstalled his OS recently and hasn't been able to get the game running again. No hardware has been changed in his system between those two installs.

When he goes to start the game, the monitor flickers because it chnages resolution for the game, goes black, but then dumps you back to the desktop. He has searched in google, and apparently some people were having problems with the latest nvidia drivers (he has a GF4 MX 64MB card) . He's tried different drivers, but still no go. He's reinstalled the game a few times, but no help there. I've installed it on my system and it works fine with the latest nvidia drivers.

Short of reinstalling the OS, any other sugestions? Maybe someone has run into similar experiences?
Sponsor
windbringer[DD]
2004-03-06T20:17:51Z
try gettin new driver.
mentaldisorder
2004-03-06T20:17:58Z
Ive had similar problems on my old rig...I havnt had any on my new one since no games were installed due to the lack of space...But it only happened on certain games...
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-03-06T20:22:01Z
The game not working due to drivers might only apply to those drivers on certain cards. Do you have a different nVidia card?

Try getting older drivers
bibite
  •  bibite
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-06T21:23:39Z
He has tried many older/different drivers, and the newer ones. I am totally stumped as the game worked before with the exact same hardware and OS.
bibite
  •  bibite
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-06T21:37:46Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Jordan
Do you have a different nVidia card?

I've got my GF3 Ti200 that's in my system. Like I said, the game runs on my system, although I suppose I could pop the card in his and see if it runs or not.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2004-03-06T21:41:34Z
You've probably thought of and tried all this but does he have the a;; the updates for Windows? That's if he kept these all up-to-date before.
bibite
  •  bibite
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-07T00:10:46Z
Yeah, he has all the updates, and he did before the reinstall too, although some new updates may have come out since then. I think there's not much to do except reinstall the OS and hope for the best, which he probably won't do for some time seeing as he just did reinstall all of his programs and whatnot.

Thanks guys.
CjD
  •  CjD
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-03-07T09:08:14Z
b4 a format i would try reinstalling dx9b + i beleive there is a "detonator destroyer" program that u can use when u un-install nvidia drivers..i dunno much @nvidia, i've allways stuck to ati, far less issues imo.
bibite
  •  bibite
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-07T12:12:26Z
I will certainly try the detonator destroyer program.

Hadn't thought about DX9b, but you can't uninstall that right? I could only try to reinstall without unistalling?

Great idea. Will let you know when he tries those out.
CjD
  •  CjD
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-03-07T16:11:23Z
Quote:

Originally posted by bibite
I could only try to reinstall without unistalling?
yeh, jus try installing again, i doubt it'll fix this problem, but u never know, only takes a second orso to attempt rather than an hour reinstall.