pickledshark
2004-03-06T11:19:52Z
Hey all!

I am having a consistent problem with the following machine:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 nForce2 motherboard
athlon xp 2800
nvidia geforce fx 5200
512mb ram

After playing any game for a while it crashes back to windows. There is no error message and the system works as normal afterwards.

I have updated all drivers (graphics card, nforce2) and patched the games. Got the latest directx.

I suspect this might be an overheating problem but I would have expected the whole system to crash, including windows. The system was made by a shoddy company who i wouldnt even consider again.

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to find out exactly why the games are crashing? Can a diagnostic tool of some kind be run?

Thanks for your help, if you need any more info please ask.
Sponsor
pcs2000
2004-03-06T11:57:31Z
Quote:

Originally posted by pickledshark
Hey all!

I am having a consistent problem with the following machine:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 nForce2 motherboard
athlon xp 2800
nvidia geforce fx 5200
512mb ram

After playing any game for a while it crashes back to windows. There is no error message and the system works as normal afterwards.

I have updated all drivers (graphics card, nforce2) and patched the games. Got the latest directx.

I suspect this might be an overheating problem but I would have expected the whole system to crash, including windows. The system was made by a shoddy company who i wouldnt even consider again.

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to find out exactly why the games are crashing? Can a diagnostic tool of some kind be run?

Thanks for your help, if you need any more info please ask.

It could be CPU or it could be a bad video driver as well. Can you check CPU temps when it fails? (I have seen CPU errors in games return to desktop instead of blue screen a fair amount of the time.)
Halford
2004-03-06T15:45:54Z
I had the same, every time I tried to play, after few min it would go back to windows with no reason.

I changed two thing in my bios, I don't really know why, but I changed the agp memory to 256(as I told my self I got an ati 256) and I changed the ram timing to "auto"

Now I can play Battelfield 1943 for hours..(and all other games as well).

To say it short, I believe it was the bad RAM timming who did that, I don't think that the agp selection did anything as I see many times in this forum members talking about this kind of erros that is related to the ram.

I hope it helps!

Hal