goofyfish
2004-03-05T05:54:05Z
I have a machine running Windows 2000 Server with two network cards.

A cable modem has been installed, followed by a switch that does not support any type of address translation, to which is attached the server and 5 workstations (mixed Win98s and XPs). The server has one card configured for the WAN (68.140...) and one configured for the LAN (192.168.0.1). The workstations have static IPs and are able to run services and mapped drives from the Server.

Although I can get an internet connection with the server, no other machines are able to access it, even if I have internet connection sharing turned on. Is there something I am missing, perhaps bridging the cards on the server?

Rick
Sponsor
pcs2000
2004-03-05T06:18:13Z
Quote:

Originally posted by goofyfish
I have a machine running Windows 2000 Server with two network cards.

A cable modem has been installed, followed by a switch that does not support any type of address translation, to which is attached the server and 5 workstations (mixed Win98s and XPs). The server has one card configured for the WAN (68.140...) and one configured for the LAN (192.168.0.1). The workstations have static IPs and are able to run services and mapped drives from the Server.

Although I can get an internet connection with the server, no other machines are able to access it, even if I have internet connection sharing turned on. Is there something I am missing, perhaps bridging the cards on the server?

Rick

To use NAT (ICS) to share connection you need to have clients in the 192.168.x.x range. What I would strongly suggest you use a third party proxy server. If you use ICS in Y2K it really clunks in high traffic with multiple clients as with ICS only one machine can actually "talk" to the Internet at a time. With a proxy server, you gain firewall for clients, abilty to use any IP range you want and on the server you can "bind" the proxy server to the NIC or NICs of your choose for service. It also give you access control and logs and it combines Internet access requests so overall performce of LAN Internet access is limited only by your connection speed and speed of your server. (a 1ghz system or faster system can handle 5 to 10 clients without even breaking a sweat) I have used it for years.