florin
  •  florin
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-27T20:11:28Z
I have a HDD enclosure 2.5" made by ST LAB which is connected to the computer through USB port.

On some computers it work very well but on others it works from time to time or at all.

I think the problem is the power it probably needs more than 500mA which is the maximum the USB port can supply.

But why it works sometimes?

Are there any settings which I can aplly to make it work or maybe hardware changings?
wiremaster
2004-02-28T04:23:05Z
If you can, try to connect the USB HDD to the pc via a self-powered USB hub; i don't know how many peripherals you have connected and if it's a power matter.
Otherwise you could do a lot of modding to feed the little beast with an external power supply but, not knowing the details of that thing, i don't advice it.
Ciao, wiremaster.
pcs2000
2004-02-28T10:46:05Z
Quote:

Originally posted by wiremaster
If you can, try to connect the USB HDD to the pc via a self-powered USB hub; i don't know how many peripherals you have connected and if it's a power matter.
Otherwise you could do a lot of modding to feed the little beast with an external power supply but, not knowing the details of that thing, i don't advice it.
Ciao, wiremaster.

Yes, try running it thru a external hub that has its own power supply. The USB spec of 5v @ 500miliamps from mobo is not enough to power that drive.
florin
  •  florin
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-28T11:19:07Z
but wy does it works fine on linux, no problem ever on the same machine ?

I thought to power the enclosure from an external AC adaptor but I'm afraid not to burn the HDD.
pcs2000
2004-02-28T16:47:18Z
Quote:

Originally posted by florin
but wy does it works fine on linux, no problem ever on the same machine ?

I thought to power the enclosure from an external AC adaptor but I'm afraid not to burn the HDD.

It is a fluke because you are over spec on mobo usb power draw. Your continued use could lead to mobo component failure. Your are way over the 500 mili amp design spec.