fleart1
  •  fleart1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-24T22:20:57Z
Hi, got a real problem I think.
My machine crashed then later that day my modem stopped working. It still isnt working. I tried everything. I reloaded win98 and win2000 upgrade 6 times but same thing. It crashes right at the end of win2000 upgrade whe it is supporded to be loading the plug and play devices. It gives a beginning of dump of physical memory error. Then I start over again.
Anyhow, now the modem stopped. I tried every driver I have and several others even downloading brand new ones. . Now
1) it shows when i go to the systems Tools/System information. But
2)when I try aol it cant find a modem.
I try to use the accessory dialer (phone like) but
3) it gives error"another program is using the selectd tlephonyu device. I check task bar
4) but nothing is running.
I tried to load ms fax but
5)it doesnt do anything except give the inbox setup wizzard.
When I tell it to detect modem it says it didnt find any modems attached to my computer. It searches com port 2 but when I go to my oontrol panel its on com port 5.
6) I tried changing modem port on aol to 5 but it still cant find it.
Do you think my card went bad or something??
Do you think that may b the reason that my upgrade keeps crashing on the plug&play? Then WHY does my audio do the same thing??
7)I have to load each of the drivers a dozzen times and my audio driver still won load and I am sure its correct.
I am afraid it is something wrong with mother board or something. I didnt touch any IRQ" or stuff and I have had this or 3 years so have reloaded it alot.
Can anyone please give a little insight to what it may be?
thanks
Sponsor
CjD
  •  CjD
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-02-25T07:56:31Z
wat is the model of this modem? isit usb?

perhaps remove this device untill u have ure OS all installed + patched up etc.

ps. aol sux imo, get something else
fleart1
  •  fleart1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-27T16:50:28Z
HI,
sorry for not gettng back. I removed the falx card then reloaded win98. I then reloaded each driver that would not load. The audio drivers still wont load for some reason. Anyhow, I then loaded win2000 and it worked. Next I loaded the fax and here I am.
thanks for everything.
Varquaz_5
2004-02-27T22:46:03Z
yeah sorry about the audio but you could just buy a cheap sondcard off newegg for like 15 bucks, also, aol does suck, time to upgrade lol
fleart1
  •  fleart1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-28T01:25:44Z
Hi,
well I am not sure where my sound card is. It looks like it is with the video card because the video plugs into the slot and there isnt any other cards there. by the way what ia lol??
CjD
  •  CjD
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2004-02-28T09:08:04Z
where u plug in ure sound connecter wires would be a good clue to where ure soundcard is,,must be embedded into ure motherboard?

lol = laughing out loud

lol
Varquaz_5
2004-02-28T18:08:37Z
CompHobbyist
2004-02-29T15:04:08Z
yeah AOL can mess things up pretty good just being installed, I suggest you get a different service. Most others are less expensive and usually better in every way. Plus most of the "things that no other ISP has!" are just free websites that you can go to with any ISP. www.nomoreaolcds.com  for more reasons not to use AOL.

What sound card is it? If you don't know that, the motherboard model and the part numbers on the audio chips would help a lot.
fleart1
  •  fleart1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-29T23:06:58Z
is rage 128 enough to ID it??
pcs2000
2004-03-01T06:13:41Z
Quote:

Originally posted by fleart1
HI,
sorry for not gettng back. I removed the falx card then reloaded win98. I then reloaded each driver that would not load. The audio drivers still wont load for some reason. Anyhow, I then loaded win2000 and it worked. Next I loaded the fax and here I am.
thanks for everything.

It sounds like you are have a base address conflict between video card and sound card and possibly modem too. This is not that uncommon. Try removing sonund card and modem from system (when it is off ofcourse) and boot system up without them. Shut down, install only sound card (in a different slot if possible) and reboot and install drivers. It should work. Install modem last. Make sure PnP OS is enabled in BIOS
fleart1
  •  fleart1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-01T15:53:27Z
HI,
ok will try later tonight and get back
fleart1
  •  fleart1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-02T17:12:40Z
Hi,
k, I removed both and reboted. It went into override because the video card was removed. I put both back in and bebooted. the modem works fine but the audio driver cant be found. either on my win CD or the windows update.
When I try to play a song iI get the error a device Id was used that is out of your range for your system.
pcs2000
2004-03-02T17:32:31Z
Quote:

Originally posted by fleart1
Hi,
k, I removed both and reboted. It went into override because the video card was removed. I put both back in and bebooted. the modem works fine but the audio driver cant be found. either on my win CD or the windows update.
When I try to play a song iI get the error a device Id was used that is out of your range for your system.

Your supposed to put them in one at a time and the sound card first. You must have a software driven modem and some of them can really mess with some sound cards. You could get rid of modem and get a USB one too.
fleart1
  •  fleart1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-03-04T15:45:51Z
HI,
Ok. I will try one at a time tonight. Dont want to now because I really need to use internet. Cant take a chance of messing up modem again.