Pounts
  •  Pounts
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-16T17:50:26Z
Ok then. here is one for you. When you close down my girlfriends PC Start>shut down>Shut Down. The computer shuts down ok but rather then turn itself off it just reboots.

I have checked for viruses, spyware, removed all non essential software (well all but microsoft office).

Noting obvious in the BIOS.

She is running the dreaded Windows 98 SE

Mobo is a K7SOM+

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Sponsor
StukaSt1
2004-02-16T22:56:15Z
That happens in XP too happened to me, Windows had a fix but it didnt work so I reformatted and everything worked, but reformatting should be a last resort
Pounts
  •  Pounts
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2004-02-17T02:54:54Z
I had this problem before on my old PC, and re-instillation is what I did. However, I would prefer to try and solve this without having to do this. As this was the only successful instillation of Windows 98 I have ever done. Well until it started to do this.
pcs2000
2004-02-17T06:06:42Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Pounts
I had this problem before on my old PC, and re-instillation is what I did. However, I would prefer to try and solve this without having to do this. As this was the only successful instillation of Windows 98 I have ever done. Well until it started to do this.

Does it have a NIC card in it? I have seen bad network card drivers cause shut down problems with 98 and ME.