clambert11
2004-01-17T22:12:21Z
Ok, a little background. I have a SY-K7VIA Dragon Plus and a 1800+ w/ XP Pro. No real problems with it since the day I got it. A few days ago, I bought a 160 GB HDD and threw it in. I installed it on IDE3, since I was adding a 3rd drive, and enable RAID. Anyway, after the install, the drive was showing only 137 GB in XP. I know I had SP1 installed, which apparently can cause this issue, so I decided 2 flash the BIOS. I'd yet to ever have to do it with this particular board since everything always ran fine for me.

The flash update appeared to go well until the reboot. Once I rebooted, the MB was dead was a chunk. No beeps, no video, no nothing. I tried clearing the CMOS, but no surprise it didn't work. As a result, I had 2 mail the BIOS chip off to get reflashed. ARGH!

Anyway, back to the drive. While in contact with Soyo Support over the BIOS, they pointed out that the MB only supports up to 80 GB drives. Although I didn't get to do anything other than format the drive before the MB died, it was showing up as 137 GB.

My question is... Do you think I'll be able to access the full 137 GB or will I only get 80 out of it. Secondly, and more importantly, how stable do you think this drive will be if they say the board only supports up to 80 GB? I would hate 2 lose my data.

Any input would greatly be appereciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
doralsoral
2004-01-18T00:38:03Z
you should just get a new board man, why would you ant to waste all that hard drive space? next time check what yoru board can handle befor eyou can buy somethin.
ToHellWithUGA
2004-01-18T02:13:26Z
You could always purchase a 3rd party controller card. I'm surprised your 160GB HD didn't come with a PCI card. This would allow you to see the full 160GB.

You can read about why you only see 137GB here if you want:

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/137Barrier.asp 
clambert11
2004-01-18T09:54:46Z
Quote:

Originally posted by ToHellWithUGA
You could always purchase a 3rd party controller card. I'm surprised your 160GB HD didn't come with a PCI card. This would allow you to see the full 160GB.

You can read about why you only see 137GB here if you want:

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/137Barrier.asp 

Actually, that's a great idea. As much as I would love to get a new motherboard, it's another expense I don't really want right now. I just put a new 400 W power supply in my case, got the 160 GB drive, and paid $18 to have the BIOS reflashed since it died on me. If I can get a good card for a good price, I'm going to go that route. Otherwise, I'll suck it up and just buy a new board.

Thanks 4 the help guys.
pcs2000
2004-01-18T11:43:37Z
Quote:

Originally posted by doralsoral
you should just get a new board man, why would you ant to waste all that hard drive space? next time check what yoru board can handle befor eyou can buy somethin.

Agreed, it is a classic mistake. 137 gig is a BIOS/Hardware limit with that MoBo. You need a 3rd party ATA133 adaptor if you want to use all of it or you can use it as a 137gig drive.
ToHellWithUGA
2004-01-18T12:43:02Z
Where do you live? I have purchased a couple of hard drives lately that came with controller cards, I'd let you have one for a good price. Look around and see what you can get one for and then let me know if you're interested. I have 2 extra Promise Ultra100 cards (sorry no ATA133 cards).

BTW, I really didn't post with the initial intent of trying to sell you something. I just remembered that I had these cards I wasn't using, so I thought I'd offer.
clambert11
2004-01-18T12:56:09Z
Quote:

Originally posted by ToHellWithUGA
Where do you live? I have purchased a couple of hard drives lately that came with controller cards, I'd let you have one for a good price.

DOH! I just picked one up off of eBay. I would have rather gotten one from u 2 hook u up. I paid $19 shipped. It's probably a little on the high side, but oh well. It's new and probably came with a drive much like yours. If something falls though, I'll get back 2 u.

I really do want the full 160 GB. I'm going to use it as a file server on my PC for my 2 networked ReplayTV's. The extra space will make a difference in the end.

Thanks 4 the help.