KnowledgeSeeker
2003-12-20T16:15:03Z
Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Should I get a separate tuner card or a combo video/tuner card. My current video card is *probably* good enough (even when I get my second monitor plugged in) to meet my needs but there do seem to be some good deals on AIW cards this week that would also upgrade my video.

I use my machine for
60% business apps (MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, MS Money and slightly more graphic-intensive stuff like MS Visio, Photosuite, Windows Media Player).
20% strategy games (Galactic Civilizations, Warcraft3, Alpha Centauri, Rise of Nations, RR Tycoon, RollerCoaster Tycoon)
15% web surfing and newsgroup reading
03% first-person shooters
01% tools (Norton, Spybot, ZoneAlarm, etc.)
01% tinkering around with learning/using Linux
Obviously, I will be adding watching TV/DVDs to the list after I get the TV tuner card so the %s might change a bit.

So, as you can see I really do not *need* to have the absolutely top-of-the-line card. But I do want to get the TV tuner up and running and want to get the best bang for the buck in the video card department (which could mean keeping my existing video card, although the urge to upgrade, even just a little, is strong).

As-Is environment:
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
ViewSonic E790 monitor
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Mobo: ASUS A7V8X REV 1.xx (Bus Clock: 133 MHz)
BIOS: Award Revision 1006 09/13/2002
Windows 98 SE
2 X 256 PC2700 Installed Memory
One Memory Socket is Empty
194.15 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
162.93 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

To-Be environment:
Immediate: Windows XP (already purchased but not yet installed)
Immediate: New TV tuner card (???)
Immediate--Alternatively new video + tuner card (ATI 9600 AIW? or maybe even ATI 7500 AIW for the tuner and as a backup/second video card?)
Late January: New video card (ATI 9600 or 9700 or ?) if not already obtained with tuner or wait til next Summer and get the top-of-the-line -1 generation card then
Late January: Second monitor (probably a Samsung SyncMaster 192 or SyncMaster 213T)
Early Spring: New CPU P4 2.6C or AMD Athlon 64
Early Spring: New mobo (depends on CPU chosen)
Spring/Summer: 2 X 512 PC3200 memory
Fall/Winter 04: New SATA2 hard drives
Sponsor
Laggerzero
2003-12-20T16:48:05Z
if you don't have the need to play the latest games, I would go out and just buy a TV Tuner card. If you wish to play the later games, then I would try to pick up an ATI Radeon All in wonder card (9600 pro, 9700 Pro <-- If you can find one).
acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2003-12-20T17:08:45Z
Well how much money are you willing to spend? Buying a PCI TV tuner would be cheaper than buying a new video card with TV tuner built in. An other option you might want to consider is a video processor that you would connect directly to your monitor. That way you could hook up a DVD player, a game console, antenna, cable, Satelite, and many other things. And it will be right there in front of you on your desk no having to get behind the case to plug stuff in

http://www.viewsonic.com/produc...deo_box_nextvisionn6.htm 

But TV tuner cards do have advantages, some of them have software so that you can record live TV, like Tivo. And ATI's "Thruview" where you can watch something and be able to lok through it and do something else at the same time(I personally would never use that cuz it would get on my nerves ). It's all up to you on what you want.

AWI:
+better graphics and TV features, and extra software features, only takes up 1 slot
- more expensive, when you have to upgrade again you have to pay a lot more to get same features, you have to reach around the back of the case to plug stuff in

Video processor:
+Better quality Video(with N6) from TV(satelite HDTV, etc.), easier access, just plug it in and you're ready, no drivers, price ranges from $100-$200
-No added software features

TV Tuner:
+All the same benefits as AIW except no better graphics for games, You can switch out video cards without having to lose your video features, prices -you have to reach around the back of the case to plug stuff in, takes up an other slot that could be used for something else

I hope that helps you out some, it better lol it took me a while to type that up
KnowledgeSeeker
2003-12-20T20:27:42Z
Thank you for taking the time. I am definitely leaning toward separating the video and tv tuner. However, I will think about the ViewSonic product as an alternative to the tuner card.

Quote:

Originally posted by acarzt
Well how much money are you willing to spend? Buying a PCI TV tuner would be cheaper than buying a new video card with TV tuner built in. An other option you might want to consider is a video processor that you would connect directly to your monitor. That way you could hook up a DVD player, a game console, antenna, cable, Satelite, and many other things. And it will be right there in front of you on your desk no having to get behind the case to plug stuff in

http://www.viewsonic.com/produc...deo_box_nextvisionn6.htm 

But TV tuner cards do have advantages, some of them have software so that you can record live TV, like Tivo. And ATI's "Thruview" where you can watch something and be able to lok through it and do something else at the same time(I personally would never use that cuz it would get on my nerves ). It's all up to you on what you want.

AWI:
+better graphics and TV features, and extra software features, only takes up 1 slot
- more expensive, when you have to upgrade again you have to pay a lot more to get same features, you have to reach around the back of the case to plug stuff in

Video processor:
+Better quality Video(with N6) from TV(satelite HDTV, etc.), easier access, just plug it in and you're ready, no drivers, price ranges from $100-$200
-No added software features

TV Tuner:
+All the same benefits as AIW except no better graphics for games, You can switch out video cards without having to lose your video features, prices -you have to reach around the back of the case to plug stuff in, takes up an other slot that could be used for something else

I hope that helps you out some, it better lol it took me a while to type that up