I26
  •  I26
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-12-19T19:49:48Z
I was asked to spec out a pc including Case, PSU, MB, CPU, RAM, HD, Burner, Sound, & Video. They want it for typical everyday stuff.....and minor gaming, nothing major graphic intensive. They want it to stay around $400 give or take a few bucks. I spec'd out a system with a 2.4GHz Celeron for $403 which included a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9000 64MB VC. I am mainly a Pentium user only cause I only ever used Pentium chips. How does an AMD chip $71 or less on newegg(price of the Celeron) compare to the Celeron? I want the most performance for the buck. Some Athlon XP chips are under the $71 mark but how do they stack up?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2003-12-19T20:07:03Z
OK just had a look and I see the 2000+ and 2200+ for under $71. The 2200+ may only be rated at 1.8 GHz compared to the 2.4GHz of the Celeron but I gurantee you the Athlon will perform much better esp with the likes of games.

The Celeron's should only really be used in office PCs that run MS office and IE all their lives. They have a much reduced instruction set and various other cut backs to make them cheap to produce. They arn't a shade on either the P4 or Athlon. The Duron is AMD's equivelent of the Celeron and I would'nt recommend one for the exact same reasons.