milo_hoffman
2003-12-08T09:14:16Z
while i was surfing the net this morning, i smelled something burning. all of a sudden, my pc went dead. it's my power supply. is it possible for any of the components inside (RAM, processor, mobo, etc) getting damaged as a result of a busted power supply? any help would surely be appreciated.
Sponsor
laffys
2003-12-08T09:18:18Z
uhm no, if smoke came out of the PSU then you better change the PSU. Everything else should be fine.
milo_hoffman
2003-12-08T09:19:36Z
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2003-12-08T09:29:19Z
If the PSU just diedm then it's likely it just burned out but if the smoke was the result of a power surge your other components could be damaged to. It's most likely to only be the PSU though.
xtremeskier97
2003-12-08T09:45:00Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Jordan
If the PSU just diedm then it's likely it just burned out but if the smoke was the result of a power surge your other components could be damaged to. It's most likely to only be the PSU though.

Agreed....since you do not know what the cause of the smoke was, it IS possible that other components could be damaged, but more unlikely than likely.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
thedazman67
2003-12-09T19:52:09Z
smoke always a bad thing. when you do buy a new psu get one rated for around 400W produced by the likes of Antec. Thermaltake, zalaman, Vantec.

thedazman
Laggerzero
2003-12-09T19:57:25Z
When PSU's die, there is a chance that they might send a power spike down one of the lines. However, this occurs less often but when it occurs damage can be extensive.
Varquaz_5
2003-12-09T22:10:30Z
well i bet the smoke looked cool
HellboY V1.2
2003-12-11T22:12:24Z
There might be some components that might get damaged. the most common is the motherboard. This has happened to me before. I lost a Mobo and 2 256MB rams. You should check them right away. One way to make sure is see if some of the wires that goes out of the PSU (the connectors you use on your HD etc.) are burned. If they are some of your parts are toast.

And by the way there should be a small fuse inside the PSU that shorts itself first before the PSU damages something else, this is a safety net. But if your PSU doesn't have one it's bye bye time.
Telexen
2003-12-11T22:15:40Z
Don't risk it...get that PSU out as fast as possible

The only time a PSU has ever gone out on me (sparked then smoked) ... I lost a hard drive to it ... and the motherboard just hasn't been the same since.
drumdesigner
2003-12-15T12:02:08Z
I had this happen to my mother-in-law's PC. Her power supply went "pop" sending a spike into the components. After the smoke cleared, the spike had successfully fried the video card and the floppy drive (the floppy, frail as it is, is usually the first to go in these instances). She had smoke barrelling out of the back of the power supply and we had to replace it as well as a new vid card and floppy. Suprisingly enough, everything else was intact. Must have been a "mild" one! lol......

I agree with the others. Check your other stuff out and make sure nothing else is toast.