kroma
  •  kroma
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-11-27T03:51:31Z
Hi guys

At the moment, I have 2 80Gb Seagate drives which share one cable on my motherboard, the other cable goes to my DVD and CDRW drives.

The first drive has a 5Gb partition for Windows, 15Gb for Programs, 60Gb for Random Stuff, Downloads etc.

The second drive is just one big 80Gb partition.

I would like to use RAID1 to provide a constant backup of the second drive, and I have just purchased this card to help me to do so:

http://www.ivmm.com/eio/products_dm8401r.html 

I suppose my questions are as follows:

[list=1]
  • Is this a good or bad card? Does anybody have any experience with this card?

• (and most importantly) - Can I begin my RAID array with one blank disk and one disk full of data? (meaning I only have to purchase one new drive), or do I have to begin with two blank disks (meaning I will have to purchase two new drives, and then copy everything accross from the second drive?

• Okay, lets say that I have my RAID1 array all set up and working fine. If one of them should break, all my data is fine - right? Cos its all permanantly backed up - yeah? Okay, so if the answer to question 2 is no - and I then wanted to set up RAID again, I would be stuffed cos I no longer have two empty drives!! Correct?

• And finally, I have heard that RAID1 slows write times, but not read times. I will mainly be using the array for mp3 data (at least 90% I would say), and there will definately not be any programs installed on it. Will I notice any performance problems at all?[/list=1]
    Well thats about it - Sorry for the lengthy post, but I just want to make sure that I do everything the way it should be done!!

Cheers!!

kroma.
  • Sponsor