xgamedad
2003-11-16T18:19:47Z
I built a system 1 1/2 years ago... installed an oem version of xp pro on it. I just bought a new mobo, cpu, ram and case. Can I use my windows xp oem on this machine after I upgrade the parts, or are they going to tell me to buy another license?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parts to come... tomorrow I hope.
CPU P4/2.6CGHz,800M 478P/512K
DDRAM 1GB TWINX1024-3200C2 COR
MB ASUS P4P800 DELUXE SPRINGDALE
CASE ANTEC|MID TOWER SONATA RET

thanks
Sponsor
thedazman67
2003-11-16T19:32:19Z
with the windows xp operating systems any major hardware change like that is gonna ask u for product activation again i think microsoft allow u to have 3 activations before u av to get another a licience i aint sure tho. i have a volume licence copy so its no trouble for me.

thedazamn
Telexen
2003-11-16T19:57:17Z
If it doesn't allow you to activate it will ask you to make a phone call to Microsoft where all you'll need to do is say you upgraded your computer and re-installed it.
pcs2000
2003-11-21T19:05:28Z
Quote:

Originally posted by xgamedad
I built a system 1 1/2 years ago... installed an oem version of xp pro on it. I just bought a new mobo, cpu, ram and case. Can I use my windows xp oem on this machine after I upgrade the parts, or are they going to tell me to buy another license?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parts to come... tomorrow I hope.
CPU P4/2.6CGHz,800M 478P/512K
DDRAM 1GB TWINX1024-3200C2 COR
MB ASUS P4P800 DELUXE SPRINGDALE
CASE ANTEC|MID TOWER SONATA RET

thanks

It should reactivate okay unless you have reinstalled it a few times already. If you are using Office XP and make a major change it will not reactivate without a phone call, ( mine did not ) it is even fussier than WINXP
xgamedad
2003-11-21T19:38:25Z
Thanks pcs2000
Everything is up and running. XP installed fine. I did however call to get a new activation key over the phone instead of using the internet. I thought I was going to have to explain things to the Bill Gates posse. Instead I got a voice recognition answering machine. I haven't had time to put it to any tests yet. I hope to try my first OC adventure in the next week or so. I will be back on these forums soon for some more advice.

all is good.