Epsil0n
  •  Epsil0n
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2001-08-09T04:47:38Z
Could someone please explain the difference between a regular AGP slot, an AGP 4x slot and an AGP Pro slot. I keep seeing the terms thrown around in reviews, but never explained. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
NeBz_Few
2001-08-09T05:03:38Z
The AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) slot is a close cousin to the PCI slot. The difference is that a PCI slot runs at 33MHz and can accommodate different kinds of cards. An AGP slot runs at 66MHz and only holds video cards. Another key difference is that the AGP slot has a direct line to main memory, which is why AGP video setups are faster than their predecessors. A standard AGP slot has a top data throughput of 266MB/sec and is called AGP 1x. Virtually all motherboards incorporating AGP-compliant chipsets support an AGP 1x video card.

It didn't take designers long to figure out that they could double-clock the AGP slot (transfer twice as much data in the same 66MHz clock cycle) and thus double the data throughput. An AGP 2x slot transfers video data at 533MB/sec. Since the AGP 2x protocol is fully backward-compatible, you can use an AGP 2x card in an AGP 1x slot, although you'll only get AGP 1x data rates. (You can also use a 1x card in a 2x slot, but you'll get 1x rates.)

Engineers soon realized they could stuff even more data into that 66MHz clock cycle, and they came up with a quadruple-clocked AGP 4x standard that supports data transfer rates up to 1066MB/sec.

If you want to learn more about this stuff go to www.agpforum.org

------------------
NeBz_Few, A+, CNA, CCNA, MCP.
System Profiles of all NeBz's systems. http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=65681
Epsil0n
  •  Epsil0n
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2001-08-09T05:14:38Z
Thanks for the info... I understand now the diff. between a standard AGP slot and a 4x slot. However, I am still unclear about what exactly an AGP Pro slot is; how is this one different from the rest?

The specific mobo I am considering is the MSI K7T266 Pro-R. Any further wisdom will be very helpful. Thanks again!
NeBz_Few
2001-08-09T06:23:38Z
Some cards have this option and some boards support it, but the reason for the pro slot is to push more voltage to the card.

------------------
NeBz_Few, A+, CNA, CCNA, MCP.
System Profiles of all NeBz's systems. http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=65681
ocmeIbourne
2001-08-09T10:20:38Z
most AGP-Pro based cards are the high end graphic design cards... but you can use a standard agp 4x card in an agp-pro slot.
Epsil0n
  •  Epsil0n
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2001-08-09T12:22:38Z
Okay, so I think that I've almost got it. Let me know if this is correct.

1. The AGP Pro slot is the most advanced type of AGP slot available and it supports AGP Pro cards as well as AGP 4x.

2. The only distinction is that the AGP Pro slot has an extra power source next to the slot to supply a dedicated, clean, source of power to the vid. card.

Is this correct?
Thanks again for your help!
Jarrett
2001-08-09T17:24:38Z
Ok...

The only reason why you would need an AGP PRO slot is for higher-end graphics cards. The GeForce 3 will be quite content using an AGP 4x slot. Only cards that specify a higher voltage requirement would use this.
Epsil0n
  •  Epsil0n
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2001-08-10T10:30:38Z