Sycal
  •  Sycal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-09-16T23:01:08Z
Hi ive just built my first home made pc and have run into some problems, unfortunatly due to lack of experience and only novice knowledge with hardware, i cant workout whats wrong
Due to scavenging some parts from old system some are dated but if i get it to work il be updating them soon
Ok the system:

Athlon 2600 xp (333Mhz)
512Mb pc 2700 ddr (333Mhz)
Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard
old seagate 10gb HD
GeForce 2 64Mb mx 400 PCI
sony cd-wr
dvd-rom
floppy drive
350w psu

After installing everything and booting up i got as far as me load screen where the system would reboot, so presuming the prob was too much drain on psu, i disconected cd-rw.
Then i was getting the error vmm32.vxd missing so went to reformat (think floppy drive has probs wont boot to it even though selected and i can get access to it from dos promt? Also i can access fdrive etc but its not detecting format (which is there).)
Anyways...i used format from win command via dos promt, then tried to install win 98 after me failing a few times(bad disk), however during setup it keeps crashing after first time it reboots itself then when loads comes up with errors

Im starting to feel in over my head and have the impression i have multiple probs, but thought id try to get help here before taking it into a shop (best way for me to learn ).

All i can come up with is perhalps my HD is too old and not supported by the motherboard? However i seemed to get access to it on the one rare time i did manage to get into safe mode before reformatt.

Anyone who can offer tips or advice will have my gratitude thx in advance,

Sycal
Sponsor
boa
  •  boa
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2003-09-16T23:18:48Z
10gig is not too old. but it definately sounds like your having harddisk problems to me. what brand is it? maxtor, seagate, WD, these companies have software you can download and use as a bootdisk to then analyze and see if you have bad clusters, errors, etc. and then do your partitioning/formating.
Or download Sisoft Sandra if you can get into windows, and run the file system benchmark and see what you get compared to what you should be getting (you will need to know your RPM speed, data transfer rate and cache). Hope that helps.
p.s. I can email you WD/Maxtor software if I can find it in this mess (1.4mb)
Sycal
  •  Sycal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-09-17T11:08:00Z
Think its seagate software i need, but thx alot for the advice il see if il get the software asap
Sycal
  •  Sycal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-09-19T13:36:44Z
ok update...think the hard disk had alot of probs so decided to get a new one a maxtor, 120Gb Dimondmax 9. However now the psu doesnt seem to be enought to power the rig , think im quiet unlucky atm. Anyways i need to upgrade my psu now so i was wondering if anyone can point me to a good budget one that should be able to do the job. Ive seen a 550w one for 35, the site doesnt list its maker so doubt its anything great but with 550w i figure it should do the job? Or does anyone have a better one at around the 50 price tag...
Ramman
2003-09-19T14:35:02Z
Check out the specs on the 350w you have and the 550w you're looking at. You want at least 25-27amps on the 3.3v rail, 23-25amps for the 5v rail, and at least 17-20amps on the 12v rail.

Most good 350w psu's should be enough to power what you have. I'm thinking that you have other problems than a bad psu. What are the symptoms you are having now?

Enermax is a good brand as is Antec. A 400w Enermax is about $50USD or roughly 31 pounds.
Sycal
  •  Sycal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-09-19T19:22:42Z
Thx for advice, and now the pc is restarting alot. The bios wasnt loading properly untill i disconnected the floppy and case light from the powersupply. Also the keyboard seems to be working randomly. As said by disconnectiong a few things the system seemed to stop rebooting alot and the bios loads however still dont have keyboard control.
Had the keboard prob before and resetting the bios seemed to work but think its down to the amount of power as disconecting items seemed to help. Is there anything else is could be?
Thanx for advice on power supplies. The one i got was just a standard 350w that came with the case il check the amp ratings though

Edit: just checked the amp ratings on the rails they seemed ok appart from perhalps the 12v rail, they are ...
3.3v = 28A
5V = 35A
12v = 16A

So it looks like the power supply should be enough, so is it likely the powersupply is simply faulty? I never thought of this as it seemed to provide power fine with the old hard drive. Is there anything else that could be causing the problem?
Sycal
  •  Sycal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-09-20T10:57:41Z
Got a powersupply thats now powering everything nicley, but still getting the original problem with the system getting lots of errors during windows setup causing it to fail.
Also often setup wont start and i get a msg telling me to remove a floppy disk from the drive and press any key to restart the system. Any ideas? everything is new so it may be a faulty component that needs returned? I dont think its the cds as ive tried both a me and 98 disk and both seem to have probs. Ive also tried 2 cd drives and two hard drives. Could it be a bios setting or the processor or motherboard?

Thx again for any help anyone can provide

Edit: from the net ive seen bad ram can cause some probs? ive got generic ram that should be compatible, would i be better returning it for branded ram?
Ramman
2003-09-22T20:07:46Z
What operating system are you using? Did you do a fresh install after the build? The problems you are having sound like OS problems.

If the the old Seagate was used on a different system, then you still have old drivers and other crap on it. I hate to say this, but if I was you I would format the HDD and reinstall the OS. General practice is to do a fresh install after any major hardware change. This stops the problems you seem to be having.
Sycal
  •  Sycal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-09-23T05:28:06Z
Reformatted both drives a few times now, tried with me and win 98. I put the old seagate back in the old system while i wait for new ram, and it installed fine after a format. I should have a copy of xp somewhere so il try that incase the os is the prob, thx for reply