Conradl
  •  Conradl
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2003-07-23T00:38:42Z
Hey, I'm have a new system on the way...Asus P4C800 Deluxe...2.4C GHz... Corsair 512 XMS PC-3500. Right now, I have a Maxtor 80GB hard drive(model# 6L080J4) running in my current computer. My question is, is it possible to just transfer the hard drive straight from my old comp. to my new comp. without reformatting? Side note: I'm running windows XP Pro. I've never transferred hard drives from an old system into a new one...So im wondering if it will work. Thanks
Sponsor
RibSpreader
2003-07-23T22:02:58Z
I'm pretty nOObish to this but I have done this before. I've always had Western Digital HD's and they always come with a floppy with disk tools, one of which will let you copy from one HD to another. More like an image since it actually functions once you're done.

If you want to partition your new HD and the old one isn't, not sure that can be done but the tools on the disk made it easy for me to image my old drive. Took quite a while, about 3 hours, but worked fine. I'm sure others here can give you much more informed opinions but I hate seeing a post going without any reply. Hope this helps.
Tonyman
2003-08-03T16:37:49Z
Of course you can transfer straight to your new computer

You will have to install new drivers over the old ones. Before you switch, install a standard VGA driver for your video driver. This way you can be sure the HD will work with any graphics card. You can then install the new video drivers, other devices, and the rest of the drivers when you are in windows and using your new comp.

XP will make it very easy and you should have no trouble. You probably don't even need to install the standard VGA driver but you might as well be safe.

Get back to this thread and tell how the OCing goes with that 2.4C
Amida
2003-08-03T18:39:16Z
You can transfer HDs to any system. You will just need to update the drivers and such. Personally if i were you I would just reformat. Go turn that [censored]back into a virgin! Trust me you will feel a lot better when youre done! Woot! Virgin HD!

*Shiver* Old data *shiver*
[mi6] GRiD
2003-08-04T22:43:07Z
With the large amount of drivers that would be interfereing it might now work as smooth as you would hope. Don't forget every driver in your system section of Device Manager is going to be different. If you are getting a new HD as well, set up the comp, install XP onto the new HD and then copy over all of your old stuff onto the new HD if you want. Or if you can borrow someones extra HD for this purpose.

Besides, it will leave you with a fresh new install of XP which hella speeds up your system as Amida definately seems to agree with.
Bothware
2003-08-05T09:43:22Z
U can only transfer a hard disk between Windows XP systems if, it is put on the conector which will give it exact same address* as it was on the old system ... if any other disks are currently configured as system or non-dynamic disks, then you will have to re-configure before moving, or move them also.
Otherwise you will have loads of problems !!!
*=e.g. (0)(0)(0)(1)

Most drivers will re-config themselves ... but beware of dangerous settings, e.g. video card overclocking etc. !!!!!!
XSquigyX
2003-08-07T17:22:09Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Amida
You can transfer HDs to any system. You will just need to update the drivers and such. Personally if i were you I would just reformat. Go turn that [censored]back into a virgin! Trust me you will feel a lot better when youre done! Woot! Virgin HD!

*Shiver* Old data *shiver*

BAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

I have a question similar to his. I just got a Maxtor 120G SATA drive, It will be the same system but can I just copy over the info on my old drive?? How would I do this??