mitchamm
2003-07-17T04:32:58Z
I have a K7SEM motherboard which has an AMR slot on it. I have recently purchased a AMR Modem but have been unable to get it working.
I've been told that I need some motherboard drivers, which I have downloaded, but I cannot install these as there is no set-up .exe file. I know you can use the 'Add New Hardware' option within Windows, but I am unsure which type of device the AMR slot is.

Can anyone help and give me a dummies guide as to what to do?
Sponsor
Commander
2003-07-17T19:19:37Z
personally, what's an AMR slot:confused:?

It's that little half size PCI look like an AGP slot aint it?

mitchamm
2003-07-18T02:52:10Z
That's the one. Any ideas?
Morcilla
2003-07-18T18:30:47Z
An AMR slot is an audio-modem riser slot. Your dial up connection will increase a 50% with this. If you still couldnt install your card you should try any other OS, different from Windows Xp, unless you have the Winmodem driver CD, where you can get your Xp driver.....

I will try to get you a better answer nextime
CCW
  •  CCW
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2003-07-19T14:05:40Z
Quote:

CNR

Acronym for Communication and Networking Riser. Developed by Intel, CNR is a riser card for ATX family motherboards that was developed in order to reduce the cost to OEMs of implementing LAN, home networking, audio and modem subsystems widely used in modern connected PCs. The CNR Specification is an open industry specification that defines a scalable motherboard riser card and interface that support the audio, modem, and network interfaces of core logic chipsets. The specification is supported by OEMs, Microsoft and silicon suppliers. The specification defines the CNR architecture for both standard and low-profile risers and includes electrical, mechanical, and thermal requirements of the riser interface. In addition to supporting current technologies such as Ethernet and analog modems, the specification can be expanded for developing technologies, such as DSL.

Quote:

AMR

Short for Audio Modem Riser, an Intel specification that defines a new architecture for the design of motherboards.

AMR lets manufacturers create motherboards without analog I/O functions. Instead, these functions are placed on a separate card--with the codec chip--which plugs in perpendicular to the motherboard so that the motherboard and "riser" card form a right angle.

Separating the analog I/O functions from the motherboard means higher audio quality and reduced production delays. Prior to the AMR specification, motherboard analog I/O functions went through a lengthy FCC and international telecom certification process.

The little brown one is usually CNR. Both CNR and AMR have been abandoned.

TBH, might be worth you getting a PCI modem. Theyre cheap and it'll save hassle.

Under the hardware bit itll be under modems most probably.

Craig