pcthuglife
2003-06-16T11:45:31Z
I've been thinking about a new car for some time now, yesterday as i was driving around to the dealships to check out prices and features Ive decided that I must have a Jetta 1.8T by the end of the year. I've already test driven the car and fell in love with it. Most 1.8T's have a sticker price of 21k so i should be able to get the car on the road for 20. I figure if i save up every penny from now until the end of the year, I should have enough to put a nice down payment on the car and my monthly payments should be pretty reasonable. the package i want comes with heated leather seats, sun roof, 16" rims, 4 wheel disk brakes, and the new 180hp 1.8 turbo engine. Dont worry guys, if you know anything about VW then you know that hooking up the 1.8T is cheap and easy. I should be able to hit 220hp with just a $500 mod. plus once i throw on an intake and exhaust I should be right around 230hp running mid 14's in the 1/4 mile. Im gonna be a 4 door mustang GT killer :cool:
XSquigyX
2003-06-16T12:22:36Z
It will be a GT mustang killer with just a chip. Check out Eurosportacc.com they have some good stuff for the European market.
pcthuglife
2003-06-16T12:23:57Z
nice, I think i've read somewhere that the ECU upgrade doesn't hurt the cars life expectancy, or if it does, it doesnt hurt it that much, do you know if thats true?
XSquigyX
2003-06-16T12:26:54Z
The ECU will just optimize the fuel curves and run a little more boost. Won't hurt the overall life of the engine, V-dubs are built pretty tough.

PS. I'm running a 14.21@107 on street tires in a Focus...and I only dynoed at 183hp and 191tq
XSquigyX
2003-06-16T12:28:20Z
<<< WOO HOO!! I'm not a Newbie anymore!!!!
ZenRaider
2003-06-16T12:30:22Z
:eek: Sorry, but mid 14's won't kill too many GTs. At least, it wouldn't kill mine.

Ricers :rolleyes:
pcthuglife
2003-06-16T12:31:33Z
Quote:

PS. I'm running a 14.21@107 on street tires in a Focus...and I only dynoed at 183hp and 191tq

what did you tear out everything that was inside? I was looking at a few focus SVT's becuase theyve been getting the highest handling ratings amoung the other affordable compact sports cars. but the focus svt is the same price as a jetta / gti 1.8T. and that 1.8T is like a poor mans wrx (minus the all wheel drive) the lag isnt that noticable to me, and when the boost kicks in you definately feel it.
pcthuglife
2003-06-16T12:33:41Z
i think mid 14's would give auto GT's a run for their money. 5-speed GT's would really depend on the driver. I've almost taken a Sentra SE-R with my slow little GXE becuase the guy couldnt drive it. we were actually dead even until the end of 3rd gear and he started to walk, a gxe sentra has NOOOOO high end at all.
XSquigyX
2003-06-16T12:35:51Z
Quote:

Originally posted by pcthuglife
what did you tear out everything that was inside? I was looking at a few focus SVT's becuase theyve been getting the highest handling ratings amoung the other affordable compact sports cars. but the focus svt is the same price as a jetta / gti 1.8T. and that 1.8T is like a poor mans wrx (minus the all wheel drive) the lag isnt that noticable to me, and when the boost kicks in you definately feel it.

The entire hatch is gutted with the exception of the bottle :cool: And I also have an LSD. I wanted a GTi soooo bad but I couldn't afford it at the time so I ended up with the Focus.

You're not missing much with the WRX, the lag is absolutely HORRIBLE....
ZenRaider
2003-06-16T12:38:03Z
Quote:

i think mid 14's would give auto GT's a run for their money. 5-speed GT's would really depend on the driver. I've almost taken a Sentra SE-R with my slow little GXE becuase the guy couldnt drive it. we were actually dead even until the end of 3rd gear and he started to walk, a gxe sentra has NOOOOO high end at all.

This is true. It would also put stock '96-'98 GT's to shame.
pcthuglife
2003-06-16T12:38:20Z
Quote:

You're not missing much with the WRX

DONT YOU EVER SAY THAT AGAIN!!!

that car was the most incredible thing ive ever drove. the freakin handling was amazing. look i went to test drive it with Rfire15 and we got to drive it without the dealer in the car. I definately noticed the lag but that was only til about 3,000rpm's. once you hit about 3,500 then its all over, we got up to 99mph so fast it was scary.
pcthuglife
2003-06-16T12:43:01Z
Quote:

This is true. It would also put stock '96-'98 GT's to shame.

awesome post man! I know there are alot of ricers out there that think their civics will own the world, but there are also alot of die hard mustang fans that think the mustang is still the true american sports car. ive driven 2 97 GT's with auto transmissions and they were nothing to brag about, thats not to say i didnt feel like a pimp behind the wheel, but in the performance category they were no big shakes. I also drove an 01 V6 5-speed that i was actually very impressed with, the clutch was a little awkward, but that was a very smooth ride. and its true when they say if you havent looked at ford lately, look again
XSquigyX
2003-06-16T12:43:03Z
Quote:

DONT YOU EVER SAY THAT AGAIN!!!

that car was the most incredible thing ive ever drove. the freakin handling was amazing. look i went to test drive it with Rfire15 and we got to drive it without the dealer in the car. I definately noticed the lag but that was only til about 3,000rpm's. once you hit about 3,500 then its all over, we got up to 99mph so fast it was scary.

Whoaa, sorry They are quick and have great handleing but I'm into straight line racing so I wouldn't spend that much on a car with that little. I have to admit that I love the all wheel drive thing though. My buddy took me in one because of his beautiful launch.
XSquigyX
2003-06-16T12:45:16Z
Quote:

awesome post man! I know there are alot of ricers out there that think their civics will own the world, but there are also alot of die hard mustang fans that think the mustang is still the true american sports car. ive driven 2 97 GT's with auto transmissions and they were nothing to brag about, thats not to say i didnt feel like a pimp behind the wheel, but in the performance category they were no big shakes. I also drove an 01 V6 5-speed that i was actually very impressed with, the clutch was a little awkward, but that was a very smooth ride. and its true when they say if you havent looked at ford lately, look again

I agree, I LOVE mustangs just as much. In fact, I want to sell my car and get an '03 Cobra. BLOWN!!!!
pcthuglife
2003-06-16T12:45:25Z
Quote:

Whoaa, sorry They are quick and have great handleing but I'm into straight line racing so I wouldn't spend that much on a car with that little. I have to admit that I love the all wheel drive thing though. My buddy took me in one because of his beautiful launch

i remember seeing one pull a 13.9 completely stock. i remember i revved it to 4k before i dropped it in first and still got a slow ass start, im sure you'd have to be pretty crazy to really get a good launch, your buddy must be a pretty darn good driver, that or i just really messed up somehow :rolleyes: