fortunz
  •  fortunz
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2016-06-02T04:28:39Z
https://www.gog.com/connect# 

GOG is one of the few steam alternatives I've been inclined to try out. Read more above, but right now, they're offering limited time imports of a limited selection of your steam games into your gog libary. Read above for details. Even if no games in the current lineup are a fit for you, future offerings might be. I think Steam has been less of a PITA about DRM than most companies have been, but DRM is still a useless potential point of failure, so why not get a permanent flawless copy of some of your games at GOG?

James@PCPosh
2016-06-02T20:54:34Z
So I just added $64 worth of steam games to my GoG library. Good looking out.
tmanvest
2016-06-04T00:52:31Z
ksp has no drm. some steam games dont have any drm it just depends on the developer

fortunz
  •  fortunz
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2016-06-04T01:37:11Z
I managed to import 3 games this round. I'm gonna try and keep my eyes open for more.

@tman, Steam is DRM. Definitely hat's off to KSP if they managed to opt out, but I think GOG deserves some props for creating a 100% DRM-free store.

tmanvest
2016-06-04T13:22:43Z
what i was saying is if you take certain games off of a computer that runs steam you will still be able to play them because they are not tied to steam. ksp is one of those games. try it if you dont believe me.
fortunz
  •  fortunz
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2016-06-04T17:57:30Z
I don't have KSP to try, but I'm happy to tip my cap to the ksp devs for opting out of Steam DRM. How many others do you think opt out?
tmanvest
2016-06-04T18:52:46Z
not many ksp is the only one i know of so far but it would likely be indie devs
Blackhawk8100
2016-06-06T18:51:50Z
I'm just gonna stick with my Steam, as I rarely ever buy games anyways. Still cool though!
fortunz
  •  fortunz
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2016-06-08T02:31:17Z
Yeah, I probably wouldn't sign up just for this either. First thing that got me on GOG was Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. My old cdrom looked like an ice rink at the end of the night and ebay had copies of the planetary pack going for $75 and up. So when GOG put it up for $3, I was all over it and now any time they offer freebies, I'm all over them. I got 3 free old fallouts that way.

Steam has also gotten more annoying over the years. Forced game updates before you can play reminds me of microsoft and consoles. I'm not completely sour on Steam (that's probably where I'll get Fallout 4), but where the price is the same, I'm definitely now biased towards GOG.