Covert_One24
2006-09-21T20:14:21Z
Wut up. just thought i would like to share with everyone that i have officially taken off the IHS on my A64 winchester. i heard you could do it so i went ahead and tried it out. i didnt know there were guides tho so that kinda made things difficult. i used a razerblade, a piece of foam, and about 20 minuts of my precious time to do this. didint even leave a scratch .

Fgured id keep the extra epoxy on since i dont feel like killing the CPU

Heres wut it looks like now:

let me know what u guys think. oh and the reason i attempted this is because my birthdat is coming up on OCt. 5th and im getting a X2 proc so i firgured why not.
Marco C
2006-09-21T21:54:56Z
Did you experiment with some direct-die cooling yet? Better overclocks, temps, etc?
Covert_One24
2006-09-21T22:04:21Z
not yet. gotta get my motherboard in shipment. which should be in 1-2 days. i will def. post back with my results tho.

idk if any of you have ever taken a IHS off but holy crap these things are thinck and soooo heavy. and the original thermal pst that they put on there has the consistency of clay!! lemme take a pic of the thickness
Super Dave
2006-09-21T22:05:03Z
Hey wait a minute...you guys have lost me. What is IHS (perhaps Integrated-HeatSink?) and what is direct-die cooling? Clue me in!
Covert_One24
2006-09-21T22:08:59Z
the actual CPU is on the right in the picture. that little square in the middle is the actualy processor and is called the die. direct-die cooling is when you have a HS directly on the die producing much lower temps rather then if you had the IHS on.

and yes thats what IHS stands for. im post a tut that someone else did on how to do this and if someoen could sticky that would be great

and my camera isnt working so i guess ur not gunna get to see how this it is.
Marco C
2006-09-22T15:54:28Z
IHS - Integrated Heat Spreader (there's a difference between a heatsink and a heat spreader)

And direct die cooling is exactly what Covert has described. Removing the IHS and mounting a heatsink so it makes direct contact with the CPU die. IHSes were introduced becasue it was too easy to chip a die and damage the chip. They actually hinder cooling performance.
Covert_One24
2006-09-22T17:33:49Z
yea this IHS is just a 1/2 pound block of aluminum and this will def. hinder cooling performance by a lot. the reason why they started doing it is because of what Wop described and also a little marketing technique to make the cpusa feel heavy therefor making them seem and look a lot nicer.
SilverVenom57
2006-09-25T21:28:29Z
Direct Die Cooling is usually based around using the compressor/evaporator/condenser/oil separator from a fridge or A/C unit, and moving it from cooling 5000 square foot room to a chip less than 1 square foot in size. Average temps are sub -100C. I am currently working on a dual stage one. Eg: One cools the other, then that cools the chip. But the gas used is expensive and hard to obtain, but I did have fun tearing down some fridges. 😃 It will be a while before I finish due to lack of time, and tools. 😕
Covert_One24
2006-09-25T21:39:22Z
lol. cant you just use the fridge unit and but it in a nice Box/Drawer setup to make it "blend" with your room? and i think at -100C your CPU would Explode/Shatter . idk how comfortable i would be about putting my Die in -100C. But hey, if it can withstand it then get ready for the most amazing overclocking potential you have ever seen in your life.

oh and by firdge unit i mean just the cooling unit, not the entire fridge
XaviarCraig
2006-09-25T22:43:41Z
Reminds me of when I cracked off the IHS of a K6/2, it almost looked the same! Seems like AMD realized that maybe IHS(s) are a good thing after the Athlon t-bird/XP series. Can you post some pics that are abit more zoomed in by any chance?
Covert_One24
2006-09-26T17:48:52Z
yea sure. gotta fin my reg. camera tho. that pic was with my phone.