BoNgBoNg
2001-11-03T22:00:46Z
muhahaha
last minute plan change on my comp before i get it end of this month heehee....^_^

well i was originally getting this: all prices in AUD btw.

Lian Li PC12 Black case (300dollars)
Enermax 350W PSU (125dollars)
Alpha 8045 (119 dollars)
SB Audigy Platinum Ex (450 - just to match the colour...LOL)

that's like 994 dollars

well now i;m getting this baby:

http://www.pccasegear.com.au/koolance.html 

yes it's a koolance NEW case.... for 489 AUD + a video chip cooler as well (49 extra)....(gonna overclock the Raedon 8500 when it starts to go out of date)
and a Enermax WHISPER 350W PSU for 143 AUD so that i ca keep everything quiet....
and lastly i can drop my sound card to a normal Platinum (379)

that runs a total of 1060..

so for a extra 66 dollars i get a much much more quieter system that runs on an average of 10 degrees cooler on the CPU and 15 on the GPU heehee

ONE BIG QUESTION IS:

i can add teh video chip cooler for extra 49 AUD more... BUT
i will ahve to first "rip" the original cooler ontop of the Raedon out first...

does ANYONE KNOW whether it is hard to do that for a raedon 8500? is it stuck on or screwed on???? HOW CAN I GET IT OFF???
just rip or is there some special method???
Sponsor
BoNgBoNg
2001-11-03T22:13:01Z
from the HH site - this is a link to a closer look a the Raedon 8500 board...
i see 4 screws securing the fan+heatsink on top of the GPU...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS BETWEEN THE HEATSINK AND THE GPU??? is it thermal grease?? thermal pad or adhesive???

HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT???
Acid_Burn
2001-11-03T22:27:00Z
:confused:

Bigwhop should know...

Although on the 8500, I thinks it's paste.
Peezy
2001-11-03T22:38:22Z
Before you add the gpu cooler, I'd suggest checking to see where the water that's suppossed to be cooling the graphics processor is coming from. Just make sure it's not coming from the water block on top of the cpu, i think that's what happened with the old case. Because hot water doesn't absorb heat very well.
BoNgBoNg
2001-11-03T22:39:22Z
i need to know - cause if it's impossible to remove the fan without some quipment or if it might cause physical damage then forget it...i won't even order the GPU water cooler bit of my Koolance system....

plz Big woop - REPLY!!
BoNgBoNg
2001-11-04T17:25:23Z
SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!
SurRea1
2001-11-04T21:52:55Z
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NOW THAT OWNS !!!
Acid_Burn
2001-11-05T01:56:06Z

Most likely it'll have been put on with thermal tape. But there is no clip, so It'll be easy.

Whether it be tape or thermal paste, do this. Seal your 8500 in a zip-lock bag (or simular, just make sure it is sealed) and put it in the freezer overnight. Then, next day, using a butter knife or simular, stick it under the heatsink edge (while still cold) and twist the knife slowly, being cautious. Do Not bend the knife up or down, you rick damaging parts that way. The heatsink should pop right off.

BUT provided it's held on via-clip, just pop the clip off. No prob mate
BoNgBoNg
2001-11-05T06:45:50Z
thx......is there a better way to do it??
do u have to freeze it?? (kinda scary don;t u think...)
isnt there something i can use to dissolve the pad??....instead of suing a butter knife
Golden Blood
2001-11-05T11:29:14Z
Freezing it is no problem, think about the cases that get the computer into negative degrees, the video card should be able to handle it just fine, the bag is to prevent frost which is bad.

The cold temperature is not going to hurt the card.

GB
Acid_Burn
2001-11-05T19:20:18Z
The temps are completely harmless to the card.

And using something to dissolve it? You run a greater risk of getting the liquid in all the circuits that way, and its messy and might cost you some $$$ buying the stuff.

Butter knife = quick, easy, free, and safe.
^Bad_Boy^
2001-11-06T00:14:38Z
Don't leave the video card on the freezer overnight..

Do what BigWop told me to do to remove my Voodoo5 heatsinks..

Just play a game that needs alot of power to run... and set all the settings to max, and the resolution to the max..

run a demo or play with it for about 15 to 30 minutes..
and stop, and rightaway remove the video card from ur pc, and put it on a ziplock bag, and seal it very good, then put the bag with the card inside another ziplock back, and put it on the freezer for about 15 minutes..
than take the video card out, and with a butterknife and a card or something thing, pop off the heatsinks.. place the card underneath the knife so u don't hurt the chip...

Good Luck
BoNgBoNg
2001-11-06T02:43:57Z
so i have to get it hot first??? before i chuck it in the fridge?

one more thing - how do u do it with the butter knife???
push it in horizontally and avoid contact with the GPU??? and then just lift???
Acid_Burn
2001-11-06T03:00:59Z
Stick the knife blade between the GPU/circuit board and the bottom of the heatsink. And, using a twisting motion of the knfe, it should case it to pop off.

Either ways of preping the card will will, just w/e you want I s'pose...
BoNgBoNg
2001-11-06T04:10:50Z
like inserting the butter knife at a horizontal position, then turn it (say clockwise) inot a vertical position and that should be fine?

btw. DO I NEED TO HEAT IT UP FIRST OR NOT???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: