areal_challenge
2003-11-30T10:43:24Z
1st post ....so go easy on me

What I would like to know is how much the graphics card draws on the hardware it is running on? From my understanding the memory on the card is what is mainly being used over other pc memory, is this right?

I am going into the red on a P4 2.8 Ghz 800Fsb
WD 800JB 8Mb Cache
1Gb DDR Ram
Intel Perlk board
[COLOR=orangered]ATI Radeon9600 Pro

This is the video card I will go with as I am way over budget. I would prefer a more high end card, I am hoping the gear I am running on will get the best performance out of the card. I notice other posters are going with the high end cards with smaller processors. Is it the card, the gear and where do you stop ($$$)

p.s. the bank will really own this till I pay it off by that time the rig will be outdated

Any help appreciated
Sponsor
boa
  •  boa
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2003-11-30T11:33:52Z
Quote:

What I would like to know is how much the graphics card draws on the hardware it is running on? From my understanding the memory on the card is what is mainly being used over other pc memory, is this right?

Yeah you are correct. Its a combo of PC power and VC power. For example in UT2003 the CPU does a lot of the AI for the bots, while the VC does all the rendering and shading.

You could get half a gig of ram and a better VC, but as it stands that will be a good gaming rig. I would consider a different mobo though, but thats because I am a tweaker. If you run everything at stock it will be fine and save you $.
areal_challenge
2003-12-01T09:12:19Z
Quote:

Originally posted by boa
You could get half a gig of ram and a better VC, but as it stands that will be a good gaming rig. I would consider a different mobo though, but thats because I am a tweaker. If you run everything at stock it will be fine and save you $.

G'day Boa,
I hadn't thought about the 1/2 gig and for a moment this seemed like a good idea but when I looked into it the next card up well it will be more $$$ than the trade off thanks anyway

I have checked out reviews & reviews of reviews when choosing this hardware:rolleyes: and I noticed the highest scoring board was one that best suited overclocking. The Perlk has very good reviews for someone like myself and as I am tempted to screw with things before I know what I am doing it has my name on it

My plan is to get past the warranty, knowledge up and by this time the best oc mobo's (@ the moment) will have dropped in price.

I need some advice on speeding up the ATI, card is the overdrive function (that doesn't void your warranty) available for the 9600pro?

Is it the drivers that unlock more power in video cards, I see you guy's make your own which is very cool....and how safe are these 3rd party drivers?

Cheers,
areal_challenge

[COLOR=orange]aint nothing wrong with Bob Dylan
JoeyDee
2003-12-01T09:20:01Z
I recomend getting a 2.4GHz P4 (800MHz FSB of coarse) and get a better video card. The 2.4GHz P4 have been known to overclock higher than 3GHz with hte stock cooler, with just simple multiplier increases...

If you do this, you should get a GfFX 5900 non-Ultra or a Radeon 9800np
Dr.GreenThumb
2003-12-02T12:14:29Z
i also recommend gatting the 2.4 GHz. I made the "mistake" of buying a 2.8 only soon finding out that the 2.4 can overclock to over 3 GHz. I definitely would ahev bought the 2.4 if i had known that. Also, i dont know if they have done it yet, but Intel will be cutting the prices of the P4s, so the price of a 2.4 should be extremely affordable.