Terrorize
2003-01-17T04:05:56Z
Hmm...need some help...i mean reassurance here...question is Which one should i buy?

ATI RADEON 9700 All in Wonder (NOW)
Geforce FX w/ separate Tv Tuner card (Later)
ATI's New card that will compete against the Geforce FX...
(Even later)

I heard from multple sources that the RAdeon 9700 is more powerful then the GFX in Brute strength and power...but the FX will feature DDR II....and will be out soon...so not sure if i should just wait a little...but ner stuff always comes out pretty quick these days...new vid card out on avg of every 6 months...
RudyR1999
2003-01-17T10:43:31Z
I don't know where you are reading, but I don't think the ATI will out power the NVIDIA. From where I have read its going to be king of the hill when it comes out. I would just save my money and get the NVIDIA. Thats just my opinion though.
Creig
2003-01-17T12:18:58Z
All you really have to ask yourself is if there are really any games or applications that the Geforce FX will run that the 9700 Pro can't with your system.

I seriously doubt it.
Dante
2003-01-17T12:52:07Z
Well, the Radeon 9700 PRO is the only card on your list that is out right now. The GeForce FX should be debuting sometime in February. If you can hold off, then wait and see how the reviews and benchmarks come out.
cvearl
2003-01-18T02:54:22Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Creig
All you really have to ask yourself is if there are really any games or applications that the Geforce FX will run that the 9700 Pro can't with your system.

I seriously doubt it.

Why do ATI fanboys always say this??? I don't get it. If the cards are comparable in price by March and the FX is faster and more feature rich then why the hell not???? It would like being offered a Hi8 camcorder and a MiniDV camcorder both at the same price and the miniDV has more resolution and features and the sales man says get the Hi8! You wont use the features on that MiniDV anyway. Ya, maybe not right away but at the same price, I'd take the MiniDV.

No I am not saying that the MniDV is FX and the Hi8 is 9700pro. This is just an example of the same dumb remarks I have been hearing in the forums...

Charles.
Toast B|M
2003-01-18T03:02:44Z
Quote:

Originally posted by RudyR1999
I don't know where you are reading, but I don't think the ATI will out power the NVIDIA. From where I have read its going to be king of the hill when it comes out. I would just save my money and get the NVIDIA. Thats just my opinion though.

think u shud go for 9700 all in wonder, its DX 9.0 compatiable, the performance diff b/w this and Geforce FX i considerable but not HUGE!,.....and u save urself some money by not buying the tv tuner..9700 is fully DX 9.0 comatiable and kicks some butt in the latest games, even doom 3 and duke nukem will run smoothly on it, so i suggest go for it
Dante
2003-01-18T03:25:41Z
Quote:

Originally posted by cvearl
Why do ATI fanboys always say this??? I don't get it. If the cards are comparable in price by March and the FX is faster and more feature rich then why the hell not????

We're going to start this again...

It has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". Yes, in March if both are similarly priced then it makes no sense to buy the lesser card. But for right now, for people who need a video card today or tomorrow (not in a month or two), there's no reason not to buy the 9700 PRO because it's going to be more than enough power for a long time. Hell, my Ti4600 is more than enough power for a long time. Not everybody wants to sit and wait for nVIDIA to release their next card.

If you always wait for the next product to be released, you'll never build your computer. Everytime something hits the market, talk of something better has begun a week before that.
Toast B|M
2003-01-18T03:39:19Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Dante

It has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". Yes, in March if both are similarly priced then it makes no sense to buy the lesser card. But for right now, for people who need a video card today or tomorrow (not in a month or two), there's no reason not to buy the 9700 PRO because it's going to be more than enough power for a long time. Hell, my Ti4600 is more than enough power for a long time. Not everybody wants to sit and wait for nVIDIA to release their next card.

If you always wait for the next product to be released, you'll never build your computer. Everytime something hits the market, talk of something better has begun a week before that.

DITTO!
thums up dante
saves me five minutes
cvearl
2003-01-18T23:02:00Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Dante

We see eye to eye there. I read it as WHEN the FX is out. Sorry. If I had a TNT2 sitting in a P4 rig right now and had $350 in my pocket, a 9700 based product would be the centre of my sights. If were the same situation in Mid-Feb, I would probably have to wait a few more weeks to see the verdict. All in all the result would be a price drop in the current cards and that is likely where my money would go anyway unless the NV31 (FX lite) was dead sexy and noticably beat the 9500 Pro for the same price. Then that would be the card. Whatever I buy has to be around $250 US or less and has to be faster than a G4Ti4600-128 or I wont bother for another few months.

Charles.
Terrorize
2003-01-19T04:40:05Z
Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice!! Helpful indeed....
Dante...i like your comment about not waiting for the newer product all the time...since something newer will always come out...that's so true...esp these days when newer technology comes out so fast...
Yeah...if the FX was out i would just compare price/performance/features between that and the AIW 9700 Pro...but it's not likely to be out up here in the NORTH for a little while after it is out in the US....which will be about march/april. It will be a lot more expensive too...since our currency is so low compared to USD...

Yeah...i guess no one really needs all the power these cards have these days...as you can see i already own a GF4 Ti4400....but since my sis burnt out her GF3 ti200 and i also was shopping for a tv tuner...you can see where i'm going...i need a new vid card and might as well get something good...so the Ti4400 goes to the sis and i'll get the AIW 9700 Pro!! Heh heh...
L337Llama
2003-01-19T10:17:00Z
You could get a non-pro 9500 for about 150$, use the Rivatuner patch on it, and then get a seperate tv tuner card. That should be under 200$.
Dazz
  •  Dazz
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2003-01-19T15:38:57Z
Quote:

Originally posted by L337Llama
You could get a non-pro 9500 for about 150$, use the Rivatuner patch on it, and then get a seperate tv tuner card. That should be under 200$.
Thats saying that it is 100% works, but some models wan't overclock at all you you should be wary of this.
cvearl
2003-01-19T20:52:31Z
Quote:

I would not do that. The non pro 9500's only have half the pixel shader pipelines vs. the PRO models. The 9500 Pro is indeed a better value IMO. Clock speed hacking is only a partial solution. You cannot MAKE a non-pro have more pixel pipelines to the best of my knowledge. But I'm not the expert there. If money was an issue, I would take a G4Ti4200-128 card long before a non-pro 9500! In Canada here, I can get an MSI G4Ti4200-128 8X AGP card for $249 CDN. That's about $165 US. That card would eat a nonpro 9500 alive.

Charles.
L337Llama
2003-01-19T22:04:10Z
Yeah, but the non-pro 9500 is a 9700 with half the pixel pipelines disabled. The rivatuner patch unlocks those so it is essentailly and 9700. You dont need to flash the bios or solder anything, and thatd eat the t14200 alive.
cvearl
2003-01-20T01:26:53Z
Quote:

Yeah, but the non-pro 9500 is a 9700 with half the pixel pipelines disabled. The rivatuner patch unlocks those so it is essentailly and 9700. You dont need to flash the bios or solder anything, and thatd eat the t14200 alive.

Ya butt I don't hack cards. I could not be bothered. I'm sure it works fine though. I have enough money to get whatever card I feel like.

Charles.